Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Well, hello fellow cultivators  (Read 2130 times)

Low G Skillet

Well, hello fellow cultivators
« on: November 30, 2018, 04:40:52 AM »

I came here via reddit and tried to login but I totally forgot that I had created this account 2+ years ago  ;D

Anyway, I'll try to contribute and a good space wrangler until I can hopefully get my status elevated.

I'll try to post some more photos sometime. I've got a lot of plants and I like the looks of this forum.

Peace!

The Larch!

nucleoPhil

• Trading Score: +7
Re: Well, hello fellow cultivators
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 01:20:37 AM »

Welcome Skillet!

What plants do you own? Do you have a favorite?
Are there any that you are looking for?

Low G Skillet

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 02:58:37 AM »

The most interesting plants I have growing are cactus (pachanoi, peruvianus, bridgesii, terschekii), s. divinorum var. luna and d. illinoensis. P. incarnata grows like a weed on the untended parts of my land.

I would love to have a caapi vine and chacruna - maybe even a kratom tree. Right now isn't a great time to ship cuttings per se. Maybe next year I can get some stuff going. I have a lot of other plants and like to do some traditional gardening. It's good fun!

Thank you for the response Phil!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 03:10:18 AM by Low G Skillet »
The Larch!

blackb0x

• Trading Score: +8
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 03:21:09 AM »

Have you ever gotten your salvia to set seed? I'm very curious if different strains have different likelihoods of flowering. No luck with Wasson-Hoffman for me  :(

Low G Skillet

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 03:45:47 AM »

I used to have that strain, too, but the one plant I had left up and died after a stealthy white fly infestation. fuckers! And, to be honest, I got out of plants and propagation to some extent when my kid come onto the scene.

Anyway, I've yet to get either the WH (I had) or luna to flower. Several years ago I'm fairly sure that one of my WH was trying to flower, but then the tip went brown and it died off. I'm in zone 7a but it's possible that I've never put them in a big enough pot. They're not that hard to grow but they're finicky at times and branches will die off unexpectedly. I've never had a plant get up to 4 ft. tall. It could be that they need to be larger, older and more well-established (and perhaps climate comes into the equation) in order to flower.

I really don't know, but so far I've been able to keep at least one plant growing for nearly a decade. I hope to make some cuttings with my luna in order to guarantee that my very last plant won't indeed be my very last plant.
The Larch!

nucleoPhil

• Trading Score: +7
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 06:18:38 AM »

Desmanthus is an interesting genus. D. illinoiensis grows wild here though I would like to get ahold of some D. leptolobus eventually maybe do some work on adapting it for colder climates.  S. divinorum is a nice plant to have now as it's getting harder to find. Cloning would definitely be a wise move ;)

Gotta love that passion flower! Such a unique flower. Did you know the fruits are edible? I hear it's not as good as it's southern hemisphere cousin but I find them to taste amazing!

Low G Skillet

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 05:12:58 PM »

Yeah, leptolobus is interesting - as is lespedeza bicolor. And yeah, illinoensis grows wild here, too, if you can find it. It's just like passiflora - it's not around every corner so I got some seeds from a friend's land. I only have one good plant right now, but I put out (haphazardly threw :>) some seeds from it around a tree line and will hope for the best. If not then I can just start a bunch of them in planters and transplant. To most people they're only a weed and I would assume the vast majority of people who have them growing wild on their land think they're just baby albizia julibrissin - which is far more common here.

I've also grown Syrian rue before and managed to keep one for a year and a half when it suddenly died. it would be cool to have a nice stand of those plants around. They're really nice looking little plants, but I did something wrong apparently.

I've heard of people make maypop jelly with the passiflora fruits, but I can't recall ever having tried it.
The Larch!