Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: lophophora williamsii seeds redish?  (Read 3604 times)

Da-1

• Trading Score: +3
  • peyote pup
lophophora williamsii seeds redish?
« on: May 19, 2018, 05:18:06 PM »

Hi fellow members

I have found some more seeds on my yote and I have 8x zoom them to find 2 of them have redish tint to them, does this mean they are to old to germ? or is it another factor? all advice is welcome and thanks for your time.

Regards, Da-1
Its not rocket science

OfCows

• Trading Score: +75
  • Glad to be here!
Re: lophophora williamsii seeds redish?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 05:39:04 PM »

;) No idea I'm afraid (I had a quick Google but just came up with stuff on reddish-coloured seedlings) - guess you'll have to plant them to see! Or just wait for somebody more knowledgeable's thoughts...
A man's errors are his portals to discovery...

Da-1

• Trading Score: +3
  • peyote pup
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 10:51:05 PM »

Hi Ofcows

Thanks for the reply, I did do some searches before I made the post, I also just searched seed pictures less the red in the search turn out nothing, I then thought maybe its stained from the fruit but none of the other seeds had that color, they were all taken from different pods and all were old very old, I will try and germ them tomorrow as I am doing other veg and flower seedlings as well, thanks for your time and any other comments would be lovely from you more experienced cactus growers.

Regards, Da-1
Its not rocket science

Aumaphinya

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 06:28:08 AM »

I like to read new content, new knowledge from websites like this. It is a good thing that I have always sought.

Cactiqueen

• Trading Score: +4
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 01:29:27 AM »

It’s always worth a try I wouldn’t throw them away for any reason start em!

Solipsis

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 03:51:32 AM »

It's pretty normal for loph (but also other genera of cactus) seedlings to have reddish colors or other unusual colors.

I think part of it has to do with the plant pigments some of which are reddish and yellowish are still balancing out their levels and chlorophyll masks those others.. but it can also be a sign of something. Reddish or pinkish seems to indicate that the light is on the strong side, however a lot of people seem to agree that a bit of a pinkish tinge is a good sign namely that the light is enough and a little much is perfectly fine and pigment levels are changed to compensate for this, which looks dramatically in a seedling.

However purple, darker colors definitely means way too much light. This reaction also seems to be stronger when it is in combination with not enough water to manage.