Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hi! I was referred here on reddit. I’m working on a ~1 acre entheogenic garden  (Read 3666 times)

Slipperystairs

Hi!

I’ve been seed swapping on reddit for a while and was introduced to this community by some kind, helpful people. I finally moved to a place where I’ve got a decent amount of land (zone 8b). My dream has always been to build an entheogenic/psychoactive garden. Right now, I’m planning on using the better part of an acre. I just moved here a couple months ago, so I’ve got a lot to do to get ready for spring. I’m struggling with the layout—it feels a bit ad hoc right now. I’ve got an exciting papaver somniferum garden that I sowed a bit late. My focus is on nightshades, though. I’ve got about 30 datura seedlings with plans to germinate about 75 more, a few dozen brugmansias (I’m a member of brugmansia growers international and plan to to start a breeding program), henbane, various atropa cultivars (if I can ever get them to germinate), silene undulata, more acacias than I know what to do with (tortillis, farnesiana, arabica, baileyana), mimosa hostilis, tobacco, tons of opium lettuce, wormwood, Hawaiian baby woodrose, morning glory, and a few I’m forgetting. I’m going to try get my feet wet in the world of cacti, hopefully, but know absolutely nothing about growing it. I also just made a large raised bed for superhots, but that’s just a personal, culinary side project.

This looks like a great community with tons of info. I hope I’m able to contribute somehow—I’ve already been learning a lot just reading. This place is a wealth of information.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 07:23:40 AM by Slipperystairs »

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A

Welcome! Glad to have you. 😊

Shamichael

• Trading Score: +50

Hey welcome Slipperystairs,
I've seen your posts on Reddit, glad to have you here. This is a great friendly community that it looks like you will fit right into.  I have a plethora of trichocereus seeds and I will definitely be able to share some to get you going on cacti.
brugmansia and datura are facinating plants, seems like you are really into the "witchy" plants.  We are not allowed to discuss consumption of plants here, but can you tell me a little about what the  historical uses of these plants have been?  I know they are strong medicinals that we get scopolamine and atropine two meds that I see alot working in the medical field.

Athena

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +176

Welcome to STS!  :)

nucleoPhil

• Trading Score: +7

Hello and welcome!
I was also recommended this place from reddit.

You've got a nice little collection there
Breeding is a fascinating topic. I imagine Solanaceae would be a good place to start as there is a lot of info out there breeding tomatoes and peppers

Looking forward to seeing your progress

Slipperystairs

Hey welcome Slipperystairs,
I've seen your posts on Reddit, glad to have you here. This is a great friendly community that it looks like you will fit right into.  I have a plethora of trichocereus seeds and I will definitely be able to share some to get you going on cacti.
brugmansia and datura are facinating plants, seems like you are really into the "witchy" plants.  We are not allowed to discuss consumption of plants here, but can you tell me a little about what the  historical uses of these plants have been?  I know they are strong medicinals that we get scopolamine and atropine two meds that I see alot working in the medical field.

Thanks! I find the history of the utilization of nightshades to be probably the most interesting of all entheogenic plants—also the most mysterious, strange, and confusing. I get a strange feeling when I’m in proximity with a nightshade. They tend to stop even regular people in their tracks, too when they come across one. They feel deeply mysterious and otherwordly, even the eggplant. The only other plant that comes close to evoking such a strong, mystical response is the papaver somniferum, and even then, I think that may be because of our more modern mythology surrounding them. They have the witchcraft association, but far more interesting—in my opinion—is their use by indigenous peoples. There’s an odd universality between disparate Native American groups (spanning South America to North America) in regards to to usage, sacredness, and preparation of datura and brugmansia. So much so, that they’ve used the commonalities to make hypotheses about the migration pattern of native groups; I hold a more Jungian-Collective-unconscious point of view, hence my interest. Nightshades were almost universally used to commune with dead people, usually deceased ancestors. They were usually used at puberty or post puberty, but they’ve even been given to children so that deceased ancestors may discipline and “set them straight.” They’ve also been almost universally used to find lost things. This usage perplexes me a bit. Here’s a great (and free) book on the utilization of datura by native Americans.

https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=PkhIAQAAMAAJ&rdid=book-PkhIAQAAMAAJ&rdot=1

This, of course, segues into the more modern witchcraft usage we often associate with nightshades today. This is a more opaque area of study because we’re still in midst of that mythology. We’re not very far removed from hanging and burning the people that may have used these plants in such a manner. Because of that, and the strange hysteria that the puritanical, early American Christians created around all this, I’m not sure it’s possible to separate lore and urban legend from fact. It’s said that they made salves and ointments (brews, I guess) and put them on the handles of brooms and absorbed the concoction through the mucosa in the groin. Apparently, these brews supposedly create the sensation of flying, though I’ve primarily read about that in the context of henbane. I’m not sure if this is just a fitful, ex post facto explanation of witchcraft or if there is actually evidence. I’ve also seen aconite mentioned as another explanation. It’s a frustrating area of study because everything above Twilight-saga level bullshit is behind ridiculous scientific journal paywalls—toxicology journals seem to be the best resources.

Then there’s the relatively credible explanation that zombies, especially in the context of Haitian voodoo, are simply people under the influence of nightshades. They put people in an incredibly suggestible, powerless state. It’s so extreme that it’s used as a date-rape(esque) drug in Latin America wherein the victim will willingly take his/her attackers home, let them rob him of everything he owns, and actually help them move the heavy stuff. Here’s the most interesting of the Haitian voodoo cases:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clairvius_Narcisse

Finally, the US military experimented extensively with—at first—these plants before moving onto synthetic derivatives and analogues in their search for the perfect chemical weapon. It’s the closest they ever came to a non-lethal chemical weapon. Ironically enough, these compounds (and all of the tropane nightshades) are effective antidotes to nerve gas poisoning. Here’s a fascinating book on the subject by one of the senior physicians that ran the military program:

https://archive.org/details/pdfy-n4Fzxn9i0_qzuY_D/page/n9

The nightshades are still grown for pharmaceutical purposes, and you can still get a prescription for belladonna extracts. Atropine and scopalamine remain the absolute cornerstones of diagnostic pharmacology today. Sorry for the long post, but these are truly fascinating plants. It saddens me when people call them poisonous as I feel that’s an extremely disingenuous representation.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 05:42:55 AM by Slipperystairs »

DarkPines

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +25
  • I only exist in your dreams.

Greetings m8!  8)

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
Welcome!
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 12:15:35 AM »

Welcome aboard Slipperystairs!

We have such an interesting cross-section of plant people here I'd love someday to have a conference where everybody can come and meet in person. Sounds like you'd make a great addition!  :D
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

Toxicodendron

• Trading Score: +88

Welcome to the crew Slipperystairs!

HulGil

• Mad Monk
  • Trader
  • Trading Score: +10
  • Freelancer & monastic poet. Scholar-psychoanalyst.

Hi! I'm /u/HulGIlKorthal on Reddit, and I traded you a cactus! (Did you get it yet?) Welcome!
All men are born mad. Some remain so. (Beckett, Waiting for Godot)

Scarlet Dragon

• Free the mind . . . Free the mind. . . .

Welcome aboard Slipperystairs!

We have such an interesting cross-section of plant people here I'd love someday to have a conference where everybody can come and meet in person. Sounds like you'd make a great addition!  :D
I was thinking this very same thing! Are they any such gatherings? So much to share. . . . I relate to your passion, SlipperyStairs, although I might be coming from a Shamanic Angle. I am interested in the science involved but I always translate it internally into "Spirit-Speak." It's like the relationship between Astronomy and Astrology [I'm a professional astrologer]. Astrologers study the hard science/discoveries and theories that Astronomers produce, with great passion but they are looking for the MEANING behind the science. They aren't interested in the technical uses for the astronomic discoveries. They are interested in how the astronomical knowledge furthers their understanding of the spirit or the consciousness involved. Astrologers (or some of them like myself) believe that the plants and the stars have consciousness just like plants do. It's an entirely different type of consciousness to our own and is difficult to understand. The science helps us to step into their shoes, so to speak, to see the world as they do and to understand what they have to say. . . . What knowledge they have to offer. For me, it's the same idea with the planet Venus as with the plant, Datura Stramonium (which I have a special love for).
"'Human beings are infinitely more complex and mysterious than our wildest fantasies.'" -D.J. The Power of Silence