Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Experienced mushroom cultivator recently starting gardening  (Read 1967 times)

nucleoPhil

• Trading Score: +7
Experienced mushroom cultivator recently starting gardening
« on: November 09, 2018, 07:23:12 AM »

Hello all! This year was my first year with a garden and boy have I been learning a lot! I have always been interested in starting a garden but while I was in college I hadn't had the space to really dedicate to the craft so stuck with succulents  ;D  I had moderate success growing vegetables this year but I know I can do much better.

I have years of experience growing fungus indoors and I am also looking to expand that to the outdoors as well. Mushrooms were my introduction to cultivation so I'd say I know more about them than plants at the moment. I hope that I can help others with questions in that area while I begin to migrate to learning more about plant cultivation.

I also forage herbs and mushrooms and have really enjoyed learning the many different aspects involved there from botany to cooking. I can't believe how much I have learned about the plants and mushrooms growing around me. I was surprised at the diversity to be honest. I keep finding new plants with uses I never expected to find!

Thanks so much! I look forward to being an active member here!

Shamichael

• Trading Score: +50
Re: Experienced mushroom cultivator recently starting gardening
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 03:51:02 PM »

Welcome Phil.
I am glad that you joined, mushrooms fascinate me and your knowledge in cultivation will be a great resource.
I am on other forums and this is my favorite by far, it has a slower feel to it but I am beginning to see it like a friendly, thoughtful conversation among wise individuals.
As a fellow mushroom and herb forager I agree that nature offers what feels like a limitless bounty.  There is always more to learn and discover, especially given that our current knowledge of these kingdoms is so miniscule. 
What country and zone are you in?
What plants are you most intrigued by at the moment and what wilds are your favorite to find? 
I transplanted some wild stinging nettles to my yard this spring and they are all in seed now. :)  We went on a recent hike and found lion's mane, gymnopilus, and Maitake.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 03:52:01 PM by Shamichael »

nucleoPhil

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 06:08:37 PM »

Hey Shamichael!

I am in US zone 4/5
I am definitely liking the niche nature of this forum (pun intended  8) )

Most intriguing plant? Hard to say. I was really hoping to find some calamus and try to cultivate it after learning about it earlier this year. Walked around through a number of ponds and swamps to no avail... I'll get it next year!

Favorite wilds? Mushrooms are usually my favorite to find
Due to their somewhat unpredictable nature and delicious taste but I just harvested some ground cherries last week that I find are delectable! I'd like to try cultivating them as well

Nice finds btw! I love lions mane. Hard to find and so good for you!

Shamichael

• Trading Score: +50
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 06:45:23 PM »

Ground cherries- not familiar, looking them up now.
I bought 2 kinds of calamus from Joe Hollis @ Mountain Gardens this year, I have them inside trying to keep them going through the winter, if I am successful I will be glad to send you clones in the spring.

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 11:38:31 PM »

HEY WELCOME P!! ive seen Calamus bulbs for sale at walmart  ;)
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

nucleoPhil

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 07:58:26 AM »

Thanks for the tips! Mountain Gardens looks like a great place to find some uncommon varieties