Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: hydroponic chacruna  (Read 4027 times)

ipsy

hydroponic chacruna
« on: October 26, 2018, 10:42:36 AM »

Hey there, this might be a controversial topic but I wanted to discuss it anyways. I really love permaculture and do things as organic as possible, but I was wondering if it might be possible to grow Psychotria viridis in a hydroponic way. It seems predestined for this since it loves to be wet all the time. I have one plant indoors in soil and it is having a hard time. The leaves are wavy and it is growing very slow. I will try to put in a simple DIY hydro pot and see if the chacruna likes it.

What do you think about this?

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
Re: hydroponic chacruna
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 11:21:10 PM »

interesting idea, try it out and post results..
ive only tried with some spinach plants so far, but they love the simple hrydro bottle..
just a bottle cut in half, top turn upside down, paper towel stuffed in hole wicks up water to soil..
 i just used lava rocks in this one.. but you see the other cutting planted at same time has started dying.
it cuts way back on watering, plants grow bigger instead of dying back, maybe because more room for the roots.
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

DarkPines

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +25
  • I only exist in your dreams.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 06:29:53 PM »

interesting idea, try it out and post results..
ive only tried with some spinach plants so far, but they love the simple hrydro bottle..
just a bottle cut in half, top turn upside down, paper towel stuffed in hole wicks up water to soil..
 i just used lava rocks in this one.. but you see the other cutting planted at same time has started dying.
it cuts way back on watering, plants grow bigger instead of dying back, maybe because more room for the roots.

Do you have a tutorial on setting one of these up? Id like to start smething from seed in a simple set up like this.

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 01:25:26 AM »

Sure! ;D from my unfinished website https://woodrosegrove.weebly.com/crafts-cheese.html i have limited internet right now so it's on hold.

SIMPLE HYDROPONIC BOTTLE
items needed: EMPTY BOTTLE, ROCKS, ROOTED PLANT, PAPER TOWEL
Cut a plastic bottle in half. The top-half will become the plant pot.
Find some rocks.. Broken flower pots and lava rocks were used here.
Take a larger rock or hammer and crush rocks to smaller rocks.
Take a plant that is well-rooted from sitting in a jar of water,
and wrap the roots and bottom of the plant in paper towel.
Stick paper towel down into the upside-down bottle-neck.
This is so roots stay wet while growing down into the water.
Gently add the crushed rocks around plant to help give support.
Water until reserve at the bottom is at least touching the paper towel.
(As you can see in this experiment, the hydroponic plant is doing much better than the regular potting soil plant)

P.s i ran out of rocks and regular soil works fine.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 01:26:32 AM by ONandONandON »
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

gollum

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +10
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 11:00:36 AM »

I did it a bit different. I used some rockwool cubes combined with a net pot and put it into a yogurt mug.
I watered it with normal water first but after that added some special hydro fertilizer. From the principle it looks a bit like on the attached image but with a smaller outer pot.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 12:34:14 PM by gollum »

ipsy

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 01:16:16 PM »

What style of hydro would serve a Psychotria best? Maybe I have to try out by myself.

EVENEVE

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 05:58:58 AM »

Hey, just wondering how your set up went with the propagation, and if you've tested mediums for the Psychotria, im utilising cocoa peat bricks, a mix of three to one vermiculite and pearlite, and a pine sawdust medium, to see what would best suit the growth of golden chalice at the moment, its calloused over and has tiny root nubbs and its only been about ten days but the, coco peat best so far, some with clonex and others without and some with manuka honey, not much difference no disease as yet, id love to get ahold of some Psychotria cuttings if anyone knows where i may be able to do this id appreciate a heads up... im not yet a full fledged member so im on the outer to say....lol.,.... mabe soon....xxx Catara