Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Actually growing Gynostemma pentaphyllum  (Read 20030 times)

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
Re: Actually growing Gynostemma pentaphyllum
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2019, 07:18:24 AM »

Interesting, the plants I grew from those '7 foliolar' seed (which, so far, have been 5 foliolar under grow lights) got overgrown before being planted outside so I nibbled some leaves and made a cup of tea. Both were bitter :) Sort of distinctly bitter cucumber flavor with a hint of sweet. They were grown in potting soil under 'daylight' CFLs at that point.

According to 'Chemical and DNA authentication of taste variants of Gynostemma pentaphyllum herbal tea' its the non-bitter varieties that have ginsenosides and the bitter varieties that instead contain the closely related gypenosides. There was no overlap. So if the dammarane saponin fraction is a primary pharmacologically active component of Gynostemmas, which there is ample evidence for, there could easily exist pharmacological differences between bitter and non-bitter varieties.
There is also evidence that the polysaccharide fraction of Gynostemma has distinct pharmacological activity, raising the possibility of effects that span across the taste variants (and would not exist in saponin-only pills).
And who knows what effects its bitter cucurbitacins and other things might add.
Its a complicated little plant, lol

Shamichael

• Trading Score: +50
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2019, 12:22:16 AM »

Very interesting.
I am on the hunt for sweet jaogulan plants.  I feel like a dope for letting the one I had perish, I didn't realize they were at least somewhat rare here.
I sent a couple messages to people selling on Etsy and they said their plants are not sweet tasting.
I just received a plant today from Mountain Gardens and the plant is sweet and bitter, I will happily root a piece for you Auxin.
I also reached out to ethnoplants and he is going to do a taste test for me.
My brother owns a condo in Thailand and has business there and in  China so he is going to keep an eye out for seeds for me.

gollum

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +10
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2019, 11:30:23 PM »

My jiaogulan tastes a little sweet and like licorice. Will try another leave tomorrow. Not really bitter. Might be able to share some plants end of summer in a view month...
What do you think about the effects on you? Is it beneficial?

Shamichael

• Trading Score: +50
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2019, 10:21:03 PM »

There's a great video from Joe Hollis on YouTube about the health benefits, that is what introduced and interested me to this plant.  In a nutshell it shares and has many similar compounds as ginseng, so its use has been for health, longevity, and as and as an adaptogen.

gollum

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +10
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2019, 02:03:17 AM »

Yes, I love his videos. When I take it I feel ginseng like effects but different somehow. I need to find a way to work with it...
Pages: 1 [2]