Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: San Pedro pup sunburn?  (Read 2027 times)

Skink

• Trading Score: +30
  • Amateur herpetologist
San Pedro pup sunburn?
« on: June 29, 2019, 07:08:00 PM »

So my San pedro's first pup has been sitting on a table in my backyard, sheltered from rain underneath the roof of my porch. But I noticed the new growth was looking kind of pinched so I figured it must have been etiolating due to lack of sun. So I moved it to a sunnier spot a few feet over (no where in my backyard received full sun all day so I figured it would be fine) but now it looks sunburned! It's got a big white patch that's kind of mushy. Has anyone dealt with this before? Will the pup survive and what should I do moving forward? Put hit back in the shade?
I'm lonesome when you're around. I'm never lonesome when I'm by myself...

Shamichael

• Trading Score: +50
Re: San Pedro pup sunburn?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 10:23:28 PM »

To me from the picture it looks like the top is the most healthiest part.  Is the bottom squishy and rotted?  That's how it looks to me, but I can be mistaken.  Has it been constantly in wet soil?

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 02:06:00 PM »

The soil looks like it doesn't have enough drainage. It should be ballpark 50% soil and 50% drainage, ie perlite, pumice, etc. If it hasn't rooted yet, don't water at all, or at least just a couple drops.

Skink

• Trading Score: +30
  • Amateur herpetologist
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 10:21:49 PM »

I think it looks rotted too, especially now, but I haven't been over watering it. Like maybe once a week, you know when the soil gets dry.  It literally didn't start looking like this until I set it more in the sun, which is what confuses me. Why would putting it in the sun make it rot? It looks and feels squishy. It is rooted currently. But now I'm not sure it's gonna make it. My cats knocked over the table it was on and toppled all the other plants to the porch while I was running a race. I think the other ones will be ok, but this little guy looks even worse.

Animals are the biggest bane to my plants right now jeez.
I'm lonesome when you're around. I'm never lonesome when I'm by myself...