Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How about these for grow lights?  (Read 5510 times)

ipsy

Re: How about these for grow lights?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2018, 10:15:37 AM »

Hey there,

i used different led grow lights and also build my own. I used e27 / edison screw type sockets and connected them parallel. 8 sockets at the moment. Will upgrade to 10 soon. With this sockets I use quite efficient led bulbs which give about 800lm each and should equal 60watt while using like 6 watts. I combined warm white and cold white bulbs.

So far plants are growing as fast as under my led grow lights. And it is much more pleasant for the eyes. Attached is a picture of someones build in a similar style. Not my build!

spractral

• TF Mod
  • Trading Score: +50
  • <3
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2018, 06:58:28 PM »

Very interesting; what do you have growing and how long have you been using them? Seems pereskiopsis and/or small grafts don't need much light at all...
Grow till theres no more room

ipsy

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2018, 09:26:14 PM »

From acacia over different psychotrias and also periskiopsis. For the psychotria viridis it seems a bit to bright. So far almost every plant I moved from the window sill to the diy indoor light showed new growth.
I am doing some parallel grow test atm to compare my led blue/red grow panel with the diy build. Since I used it only for 2 month now i can not say to much.

Advantages of the edison screw type setup are the following:
- extendable in number of sockets and types of bulb.
- good heat circulation between the bulbs compared to a closed panel
- if a bulb breaks simply change it.
- use different kind of lights in one setup. you can use high efficient COB LED as well as cheap light bulbs depending on budget

disadvantages are:
- you have to be careful because you handle electricity which can hurt you bad

When I upgrade my light to more sockets, I can make a photo...

Scarlet Dragon

• Free the mind . . . Free the mind. . . .
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2019, 04:17:40 AM »

I am just a beginner but have been researching lights and went with 15w LED 'grow' lights that are screw socket type and come in 4 packs. Very cheap from Amazon. I set up a 6 ft long terrarium with 6 of these bulbs wired parallel shining from outside the terrarium into it. I also set up a 'grow closet' made of 2" insulation foam board and installed it in a cold garage. It has 14 screw socket light receptacles protruding into it and wired in parallel from the outside. I am very happy with how all my plants are responding to this light. The LED lights in the grow room (plus a few seed heating mats under trays of water) keep the temp inside at about 75 degrees with about 60% humidity while the garage it's in is in the 40's with 30% humidity. I am currently assembling an automated watering drip system made by Mister Landscaper. Will post photos of that when it's done. The wiring takes a little electrical knowledge and the foam panels are costly but it's come together well so far.
"'Human beings are infinitely more complex and mysterious than our wildest fantasies.'" -D.J. The Power of Silence

EVENEVE

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2019, 06:05:45 AM »

hi, just wondering if the lights you bought are detailed as grow lights or if their just normal ones, ive bought some odd grow light thing and its been a weirs unit ....bright red....bright blue.... odd.... i just want a little functional light and to start a few cuttings in a nice controlled corner of the room, nothing fancy,,,, any ideas, im ... inexperienced with the leds.....xxx Catara

Shamichael

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2019, 06:30:36 AM »

So the lights I used were not grow lights. I am working with different LEDs and finding they work very good and have decent spectrums for plant growth.

If you want a cheap grow light with good reviews I just found this deal and bought a few:
LED Grow Light Bulb, TaoTronics Full Spectrum Grow Lights for Indoor Plants, Grow Lamp, Plant Lights for Hydroponics, Organic Soil (36W, All Wavelengths, FREE E26 Socket) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0748D2SMB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_7N1FCbYPSZXET

There is a $5.00 off coupon on product page and use promo code NQ5GV7H2 for another $8.00 bringing each light to $11.00.

They have very good ratings so I plan on setting them up 2 or three in a row for seedling trays.

Scarlet Dragon

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2019, 05:33:30 PM »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4Pcs-28W-LED-Grow-Light-E27-Lamp-Bulb-for-Garden-Plant-Hydroponic-Full-Spectrum/122463123084?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&redirect=mobile

These are the bulbs that I am using, they are LED Grow lights. I am impressed by how much the plants seem to respond, growing aggressively towards them. They are only 28w so they need to be kinda close but I use mylar reflective sheet to maximize their effect. One problem is on the eyes. My eyes aren't happy until I got a pair of vivoson grow light glasses (that fit comfortably over my regular specs)

I just ordered a few of the 100w versions. I will let you know if they're worth it:

https://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Spectrum-Vegetable-Greenhouse-Hydroponic/dp/B07FTHHPM2/ref=sr_1_12?crid=2H6O2YD088TTQ&keywords=100w+led+grow+light+bulb&qid=1551890774&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=100w+led+%2Clawngarden%2C268&sr=1-12
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 05:48:18 PM by Scarlet Dragon »
"'Human beings are infinitely more complex and mysterious than our wildest fantasies.'" -D.J. The Power of Silence

Shamichael

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2019, 01:48:39 AM »

Wow can't beat the price on those, $4 bucks a piece.  Gonna pick some up and experiment with them.

Scarlet Dragon

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2019, 11:01:13 PM »

I just installed a bar of these 28w grow led lights above my new rolling flower box. The bottom of the box is a water tank hholding an automated water pump feeding drip lines to each plant. The lights are on a timer too.

Bcshaman

• Trading Score: 5
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2019, 07:18:47 AM »

I rigged up 2 panels from a 6pack of 4ft 20w 5000k LED shoplights I purchased from amazon for $60, my mimosa's and rustica seedlings are doing well under them so far.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07C772B48/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_qvaUCbTVZPX02
The path is bright, face to the light
Pages: 1 [2]