Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Growing Catha Edulis  (Read 2180 times)

Darwins Farm

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +16
Growing Catha Edulis
« on: September 02, 2018, 08:26:37 PM »

I am curious if anyone here has managed to grow catha edulis in amounts that could entertain one, and maybe a few friends, from time to time.

I acquired a broad leaf variety about 3 years ago. The first attempt at propagation failed, second attempt failed, 3rd attempt saw success on 2 of 2 cuttings. Now, my original plant has about 6 cuttings to offer and I plan to take those quite soon.

I hope to get about 5 or 6 nice little shrubs. I'll let them see the TX sun for most of the year and bring them to a little screened in/climate controlled patio over the winter.

Has anyone had success with this plant and with these types of goals?

Darwins Farm

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +16
Re: Growing Catha Edulis
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 08:31:09 PM »

Just noticed there is a khat thread near top of the discussion lists. I would have just taken my questions there and not created a thread had i known. My apologies. If mods wish to delete this thread that would he fine.

JMZ

• Trading Score: +149
Re: Growing Catha Edulis
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 02:06:50 AM »

I didn’t find the thread you’re talking about. Anyway, I believe that you will eventually grow enough khat so that you can sustainability harvest. I believe that I will be at that point next year, and I live in Georgia.  I’ve not been very successful with the wide leaf variety, but the narrow leaf seems to be very hardy in every way. Khat grows fairly slow the first few years, so it takes a good four years or longer. Mine are about 4 years old and they are growing fast now. They all started putting out a lot of new growth from the bottom of the plant this summer. The bad news is that so far I haven’t gotten anything out of chewing it, although I’ve only tried a few times. There was an excellent thread on another forum by a guy that grew khat professionally in South Africa. That thread was even linked here when he joined briefly, but it has since been erased from the internet entirely. According to him, aggressive pruning and frequently picking one third of the leaves on the plant is absolutely necessary to get the plant to produce cathinone. I’m going to start that process next year, I’m hoping for the best. Regardless of that, it’s a beautiful plant that is very easy to grow, bugs don’t touch it, and it does extremely well as a house plant during the winter. It’s my favorite entheo plant.
Kratom is my fountain of youth.