Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: More grafting with apples and oranges  (Read 5144 times)

Inyan

• Trading Score: +28
  • Find what makes you happy and do it.
More grafting with apples and oranges
« on: September 02, 2018, 01:11:19 PM »

All of the Peres before you were grown in identical conditions. Any differences in phenotype are solely the result of their own genetics as they respond to the same evironmental stimuli.

When a gal or guy is ready... grafting is hands down the best way to acquire a field of mutants fast.
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Shamichael

• Trading Score: +50
Re: More grafting with apples and oranges
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 11:47:22 PM »

Can you elaborate on a field of mutants?  Is it one mutant that you cut multiple scions from?

Inyan

• Trading Score: +28
  • Find what makes you happy and do it.
Re: More grafting with apples and oranges
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 02:57:03 AM »

Can you elaborate on a field of mutants?  Is it one mutant that you cut multiple scions from?

Mutants are easily gotten from seed grown specimens. Grow enough seeds and your bound to fine a few albino, variegated, crested, etc.

With that being said, those that graft their seedlings often see those forms faster as some crested/monstrose forms take a while to present themselves.

Take that a bit further, and realize that if one of your seedlings parents was a mutant chances are you will have an exponentially larger selection of mutants from a much larger selection of seedlings you have grown out. Now, if two of your seedlings parents were mutants you will increase your odds even further.

Crossing a variegated to a crested form for example would likely give you many crested and variegate forms and even some that were crested variegates.

I'm telling you that if you like mutants... grow seed in bulk, but if you really love mutants try to get seed from parents known to throw mutant babies. Some crosses will throw out mutants irregardless of whether the parents themselves show any signs of being mutants.

As for mutants in my collection, I've sent many mutants that were seed grown to new homes to be taken care of as I don't like having many multiples of a single specimen in my garden. I'd rather have a field of diverse genetically unique specimens, but that is just my own personal preference.
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.