Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Advice needed on harvesting Kratom leaves please!  (Read 430 times)

bluekangaroo

Advice needed on harvesting Kratom leaves please!
« on: August 18, 2018, 11:23:30 pm »

Hello everyone,

I am growing an Indo Kratom tree, and it's doing quite well, however I don't know when I am supposed to take the leaves off in order to turn them into tea. Am I supposed to wait for them to fall off? Should I take leaves from specific spots on the tree? Will it harm the tree if I take too many?

Also, is there a kind of "curing" procedure that I should use once I do harvest the leaves that would make for better tea?

I would appreciate any help/advice on this, thank you!!

MeanGreen

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +31
Re: Advice needed on harvesting Kratom leaves please!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 11:36:18 pm »

Usually you want to harvest leaves at the end of the season before bringing your plants inside (unless you live somewhere it can grow outside all year round). It will 90% of the time go deciduous when brought inside anyway. Only harvest the fully developed leaves and leave the new growth alone. Kratom also sometimes drop a few leaves during the growing season, when a leaf is ready to go by itself it will detach from the slightest touch.

However you can definitely harvest a few leaves here and there when you need them. I highly recommend plucking a leaf, folding it in the middle to easily remove the main stem, and chewing the leaf. Keep it in your mouth for at least 30 minutes. It is better bang for your buck than tea or dried leaf imo, I have quite a big kratom habit and one large fresh leaf is definitely noticeable whereas dried it would probably be 0.3-0.4g which is less than a tenth of the dose I take 5+ times a day.

No curing needed for dried leaf, just air drying works fine. Some Indonesian suppliers do heap-ferment kratom to create the variety known as "Bentuangie" though, definitely an interesting variation both in taste and effects.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 11:39:47 pm by MeanGreen »

bluekangaroo

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 10:44:19 pm »

Thank you SO much MeanGreen!!! I am so excited to try this out! :D

JMZ

• Trading Score: +149
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 05:53:16 pm »

That is an excellent question, I’ve wondered that myself. I believe that it’s probably best to harvest a little bit here and there during the growing season. Last Fall I picked off nearly all of the leaves just before I brought them in for the winter. I also severely pruned several of them just so they would fit through the door. I lost several large kratom plants during the winter, and that’s never happened before. The surviving plants didn’t thrive last summer like they usually do. However, I also opened the air vents in the room that I overwinter my plants, so it was a little warmer and drier. I typically do neglect my plants in the winter, but I never lose very many, and certainly no large plants. Also, I just had way too any plants in that room, I couldn’t even walk around in there. I have since thinned out my plants by nearly 50%. So it’s hard for me to say if it was the neglect or the extreme harvest/pruning that was so detrimental to my plants. Either way, I do not recommend doing a massive end of the year harvest, even though most of your leaves will probably dry up and fall off during the winter. Maybe taking 50% is OK, but don’t pick them nearly clean like I did. BTW, it was the good old Bumble Bee variety (and one Green Malay) that survived. Even though they are all (except GM) very similar, Bumble Bee is the best for us in the Northern Hemisphere. It grows the fastest, is easiest to root cuttings, and tolerates adverse conditions the best. Keep an eye out for spider mites this winter, I get them every winter like clockwork. I’m going to overwinter mine in the garage this year where it’s colder. I’ve done it successfully with a large Bumblebee before, it went dormant quickly and completely, it never got spider mites, and it bounced back next Spring.
Kratom is my fountain of youth.

Shamichael

• Trading Score: +3
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 12:47:46 am »

That is an excellent question, I’ve wondered that myself. I believe that it’s probably best to harvest a little bit here and there during the growing season. Last Fall I picked off nearly all of the leaves just before I brought them in for the winter. I also severely pruned several of them just so they would fit through the door. I lost several large kratom plants during the winter, and that’s never happened before. The surviving plants didn’t thrive last summer like they usually do. However, I also opened the air vents in the room that I overwinter my plants, so it was a little warmer and drier. I typically do neglect my plants in the winter, but I never lose very many, and certainly no large plants. Also, I just had way too any plants in that room, I couldn’t even walk around in there. I have since thinned out my plants by nearly 50%. So it’s hard for me to say if it was the neglect or the extreme harvest/pruning that was so detrimental to my plants. Either way, I do not recommend doing a massive end of the year harvest, even though most of your leaves will probably dry up and fall off during the winter. Maybe taking 50% is OK, but don’t pick them nearly clean like I did. BTW, it was the good old Bumble Bee variety (and one Green Malay) that survived. Even though they are all (except GM) very similar, Bumble Bee is the best for us in the Northern Hemisphere. It grows the fastest, is easiest to root cuttings, and tolerates adverse conditions the best. Keep an eye out for spider mites this winter, I get them every winter like clockwork. I’m going to overwinter mine in the garage this year where it’s colder. I’ve done it successfully with a large Bumblebee before, it went dormant quickly and completely, it never got spider mites, and it bounced back next Spring.

How do you treat for spider mites?

MadPlanter

• Trading Score: +822
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 01:29:29 pm »

A good old Dr. Bronners castille soap spray will work for the mites most of the time. However if you've got to get crazy on them Spinosad and azamax are good go to lessly toxic alternatives that certainly work very well.
Spreading love!

Shamichael

• Trading Score: +3
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 03:49:03 pm »

I used neem oil effectively last year, but this year I have so many more plants and I always get mites so I'm a bit worried about them.
Thanks.

Bach

• 2nd Action Hippie
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +310
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 03:23:40 am »

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the oldest leaves have the best alkaloid profile, so end of the season sounds like a winner.

I've been known to top my Rifat to fit it in the garage for the winter. It goes dormant and has come back reliably so far. Last year it was 17 feet tall before I topped it.  :o I usually try to keep a couple leaves on it so I can gauge how it's feeling, but keeping the soil on the dry side when it is cool seems to suit it well enough.
Out here on the perimeter there are no stars.

bluekangaroo

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 10:39:30 pm »

"A good old Dr. Bronners castille soap spray will work for the mites most of the time. However if you've got to get crazy on them Spinosad and azamax are good go to lessly toxic alternatives that certainly work very well."

So do you spray straight Dr. Bronner's soap onto the leaves of your plants to get rid of spider mites, or do you use a water-soap mixture that you find works best? Do you only spray this on your plants if the spider mites are actually present, or do you do this regularly to prevent them from becoming a problem? Also, would using Dr. Bronner's present a health hazard of some kind? Should the leaves just be washed first after harvesting them? Thanks!! :)

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +316
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 01:10:12 pm »

A week or so before picking leaves it is a good idea to stress them. For large plants using a strong fan for a few days (or a couple days of high winds), for smaller plants or those that are delicate, stress them like Phalaris by cutting the ends of the leaves. Locals in kratoms home area widely regard the trees growing near beaches as the strongest since they are subjected to the constant winds from the sea.

nobody  :)
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

MeanGreen

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +31
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2018, 08:12:15 pm »

Very nice info I'm gonna try this out, thanks nobody!

JMZ

• Trading Score: +149
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 11:28:00 pm »

Someone asked about treating the  spider  mites I get every winter. I’ll spray with neem or a soap solution but it was impossible to get 100% coverage. The mites go away once they go outside anyway. This year my Kratom have looked terrible and have had ants! They will spend the winter in my garage this year. I hope the cold temps keep the bug population down. I have far fewer Kratom trees now, and that number will probably go down again. I’m finding that growing large tropical rainforest trees in north Georgia isn’t such a practical hobby. My space and efforts can be better spent on other plants.
Kratom is my fountain of youth.