Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1742 times)

Souldiver

Hello
« on: August 16, 2018, 06:06:10 AM »

Hi from warm and sunny Minnesota!  For a long time I've been wanting to grow my own houseplants but never really took the step forward until recently.  I'm a late-comer to botany so I know there's tons of stuff I just have no idea about.  I decided to start off safe with cactus, cause if I forget to water cactus it seems like it would be a little more forgiving.  I have a tiny grow area set up indoors because there really is no yard where I live.  Consequently, the majority of the light my plants get are from LED bulbs.

My first few forays were with grown cacti, but then I wanted to try the challenge of planting from seed.  Consequently I now have a few baby T. bridgesii poking their heads up through the soil.  I also purchased a small Vana Tulsi and hope to use that in a homebrew kombucha one day, once it's a bit more established.  It smells really good right now though, but so far I'm resisting the urge to make pesto.

I'd like to get a good vine plant or two in the future.  Haven't decided which one(s), but I'm always interested in reading up on them.

OfCows

• Trading Score: +75
  • Glad to be here!
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 02:59:06 PM »

:) Welcome Souldiver!

You're so going to love it at STS and are guaranteed to learn a lot by sharing here. I've only started growing from seed relatively recently myself, it's ultra-rewarding (and addictive)! In fact, I live in a very small flat and I'm still looking at two large shelves of seedling trays...what lighting are you using? I was thinking about trying one for the darker winter months here (UK) only this morning.

Looking forward to getting to know you anyway - hit me up once you're a full-member and I'll happily send you a little selection of interesting Trichocereus seeds...

;) Be good,

OfCows
A man's errors are his portals to discovery...

Souldiver

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 05:46:38 AM »

Souldiver

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 04:40:51 AM »

Quick update: I've got some Vanilla planifolia cuttings on the way!  I'm very excited about that.  I've also gotten some Fuyu persimmon cuttings and a night blooming jasmine heading here as well.  Hopefully I'll have some photos of those to post very soon.

OfCows

• Trading Score: +75
  • Glad to be here!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 12:46:38 PM »

:) Thank you for the tip, shall do some research on that...
A man's errors are his portals to discovery...