Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Vermin... grrr  (Read 8050 times)

XDX

• Trading Score: +72
Vermin... grrr
« on: August 04, 2018, 09:47:43 PM »

ok i am pretty sad, this is the second morning i have gotten up this week to find my garden has been attacked. i feel outsmarted, strait duped, and not sure how to handle it...

every year i have totally different issues, makes no sense. i think i learn, then something else happens.

so something (big) must be coming out late late night and is munching off the tops of my immature sunflowers. plants were 30-60cm above ground, relatively stocky. got about half of them two nights ago, and finished the rest off last night.... this patch is done for...

they also ate some tomato flowers, but not the green tomatoes. strange diet this one.

i have had sunflowers and tomatoes growing for months with no issue, except being a little behind sched. i have never had something attack my sunflowers like this before. i have sunflowers in full bloom in front of my house, some going into seed already, no issue. i planted this lil plot late, but with the specific intention to grow seeds and press oil. still wasnt going to produce a whole lot, but plants were looking good, wouldve been a nice plot. everywhere else its just a small scattering of sunflowers, wont be much. and i think it might be too late to start more of the big sunflowers that actually produce. but maybe theres still time.

the night before last, after first noticing the damage that morning, i left the back door open with the light on  and didnt notice any further damage next day. but leaving the lights on is going to mess with flowering cycles and such, and is just wasting electricity, so i really detest doing it. i heard something in the bushes last night as i was going to bed, bout 3am, and got up to take a look, stake out the scene for a bit. i heard some activity on the other side of the fence, but saw nothing, and the sunflowers were there then. so it must pass through between 3:45am-6:00am sunrise.

so anyway, i dont even know what this thing is eating my plants. its not specifically attacking any medicine plants that i have noticed (yet..), but with the amount of damage this thing is doing in a matter of hours, i dont want to find out what its going to eat now that theres no more sunflowers to eat. strait ruined my whole crop in two nights!
my first thought is raccoon, which is the worst. they are smart, and mischievous, and have no fears. and seem to eat anything and everything.
if its a raccoon, my guess is theyll be after the brugmansia before too long. a dog would not even be of much help, except as an alarm. raccoons hold their ground and fight back. oooo i hope its not raccoons. living in my garage.... yes this could get nasty.
but it might could also be like a deer maybe? or, i just went camping last week, and we forgot to put all the food away, and there was some sort of night-squirrel shrew-like critter that was messing about, idk, im not so well versed in the tree-vermin.

what do i do? short of getting a dog, last thing i need right now is more responsibilities...
would spreading bloodmeal help, or something similar? do i need to set up a stake out, catch them in the act, and give the intruder a stern talkin-to? do scarecrows work for raccoons, or deer?

please help me defend my garden! if left unchecked, therell be nothing left in a week or two!!

MorningDew

• Trading Score: +128
  • ????
Re: Vermin... grrr
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 11:07:26 PM »

I feel for ya man.  We recently had a groundhog come thru and tear the place up, our neighbors gardens too.  At some point the lil guy decided to have himself a generous portion of one of the bridgesii in the yard, not sure if this is just a coincidence, but he hasnt been back since😂😂......before him, our biggest pests were squirrels that kept chewin apart the sunflowers.  Our cats only really help guard the place from squirrels, and thats only when theyre not busy doin whatever it is they do all day.  Im curious to hear from other members also, best of luck XDX...Peace
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 12:06:39 AM by MorningDew »

XDX

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 04:55:32 AM »

its a sign, i must grow a wall of trichs
none shall pass
even raccoons will have to think twice
or i might just wake up one morning to find some critters stuck between a couple columns
finally know what to do with cuzcoensis kk247s

all hail, the mighty Trichs
guardin my garden each 'n every night
may all the vermin who dare to prey
stab themselves and go far far away
(hums quietly to self, somewhat to the tune of Cosmic Charlie...)

i didn't have many problems at my last house, but i moved to this house a couple of years ago, and well its been a little different gardening experience. the soils different, the seasons are slightly different, just a different micro-climate, despite only being an hour apart. i have a bit more trouble with garden pests now. last year i really struggled with birds, they would eat all of my sprouts, especially corn & squash. id wake up in the mornings and find all the seedlings uprooted, most chopped in half, and the corn kernel eaten off the base of the plant. some werent chopped in half, and id replant them, only to wake up the next day to find them uprooted again. like jeez birds, you already got this one, just let the lil guy live. really set me behind, ended up getting just a couple of corn plants to mature, had to hand pollinate them. but it worked, crossed "oaxaca green" with "hopi blue", both ways. and managed to get those tropical flour corns to produce way far north, so not all was lost. growing "morado purple" this year, started too early and lost the first round, then started a lil late. also been growing mushrooms in the same bed, and the mushrooms were sucking up a lot of the water early on, but i think ill still get a few corn to make it all the way through to harvest.

but no birds this year, at least not on the corn. why not?
well, i think the mushroom-mulch layer made it much harder to pull up seedlings, first off.
but really, i thought about it, and rather than trying to fight nature- birds, they are fast and smart and they just fly away, and these ones squawk at me hardcore, obnoxious- i decided to try to work with it. give the birds what they want, food, just WAY over there on the other side of my yard. keep a bird feeder stocked, and they were pretty happy. they would still squawk at me when the feeder started to run dry, which i felt was a bit rude, like com'n dudes im already just feeding you for free, this is like ransom or tribute or something, im strait getting extorted by birds here lol. they do have a pretty songbird sound too, i tell them if they want food they better ask nicely. sometimes it works. they did still mess with my berries, which are new additions to the garden this year, but only if i let the berries sit a day past ripening.

this year, slugs really got me early on. i was trying to keep this mushroom patch hydrated, probably overly so, and i think i was just breeding slugs. the slugs ate the mushrooms, they ate the squash starts and other starts, but mostly i was pissed about the mushrooms. slugs die on site in my yard. guess thats what the birds are good for.
how do we convince the birds to eat the slugs?
also whiteflies, idk where they came from, they were inside over the winter, and moved out with the plants when things warmed up. usually outside brings bug balance. going back indoors is going to be rough again this year i fear.
and then now w/e ate my sunflowers. grr... i hope its just moves on now that it finished the sunflowers. im not sure what the appropriate defensive maneuver is, where shall i position the trich wall?

all hail, the mighty Trichs...

Desolus

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +14
  • Grow a pair and fly the black
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 06:39:34 PM »

All of my pest problems, copious texas deer included, disappeared when I got a German line German shepherd. Though now I have a different problem, critter bits(sometimes even deer) are littering my lawn!

XDX

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 01:43:22 AM »

i actually think it might be a young deer, just found some droppings.
much better than a raccoon
a wall of trichs should definitely help

SKUNK

• Trading Score: +69
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 05:16:03 PM »

i actually think it might be a young deer, just found some droppings.
much better than a raccoon
a wall of trichs should definitely help

At least deers are easy to control,  I find Predator Urine is the best to use sprayed around the perimeter of your garden.  We have a few Pitbulls, so we are covered on that front.    You should be able to buy such urine at the garden center or your local hunting suppy shop.    we sometimes buy it for coyote hunting.    In a pinch you can use your own urine. 

Dogs are by far the best deturant,  they chase both Man and Beast away, and protect your garden of eden... Also 00 Buckshot will help keep deer at bay and fill your freezer for the winter months. 

some other deterrents that are said to work are moth balls & even ordinary bar soap, which can be Hung from strings in trees or poles around your garden.   If your garden is close to the house, motion sensor lights can be employed which should help spook the deer.

best of luck with your problem, hope you get it sorted out. 

Skunk
The best time to plant seeds was 5 years ago; the next best time is right now!