Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: How to Mail Salvia  (Read 164 times)

JMZ

• Trading Score: +149
How to Mail Salvia
« on: July 04, 2018, 08:09:47 am »

I’m just curious how people manage to successfully mail salvia cuttings. I nearly lost my three plants last winter, but they each have one sickly little sprig. I think they will eventually bounce back. People have asked for salvia in the past, and I’ve never been able to mail them. I’ve sent rooted and unrooted cuttings, but they always arrive looking like cooked spinach. Last year I just gave up on it out of frustration. I know it can be done, that’s how I got my first plant after all. So what’s the secret to mailing salvia? Hopefully I’ll have some cuttings for next summer.
Kratom is my fountain of youth.

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +546
  • Zone 7A
Re: How to Mail Salvia
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 03:09:13 pm »

The trick is to wrap the cut end with a moist paper towel and put the entire cutting in a gallon ziplock. If you don't put the entire plant in a sealed bag/container, they dry out horribly like you had.
Forge a path with Heart <3

GoodEarth

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +31
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 03:18:03 pm »

Below is the method I use for sending cuttings with great success. I'm yet to try it with Salvia but there is no reason it shouldn't work as it has worked for everything else I have tried it with. I hope this is of use to you :)
NOTE: I don't have any Salvia cuttings I can demonstrate this with so I just picked some Sage from the garden to use for the photos.

Step 1: Gather materials
* Plant cutting(s)
* Scissors
* Paper kitchen roll
* Ziplock bag
* Cling film (plastic wrap)
* Tape (not pictured)
* Box padding (not pictured)
* Box (not pictured)
* Polyfill (usually found in pillows)
         NOTE: Make sure you don't use the polyfill from an anti-allergy pillow as it has been treated am I'm not sure how it will effect the cutting(s).

Step 2: Preparing cutting(s)
If not all ready done, remove all the leaves except the top 2.
A cutting with all its leaves left on will find it harder to support itself and more likely die.

Step 3: Wrap the roots / lower half
Wrap the roots / lower half in kitchen roll and then dampen it. It doesn't want to be dripping lots, just fairly damp. (In the photo below ive folded the kitchen roll as if the cutting had roots which I laid flat on fhe paper).
Wrap that with cling film very well. I usually cut a few strips of cling film to re-go over it a couple times. Be sure to wrap it up the stem a couple of centimetres as well to help prevent any water loss from the tissue. I usually use a thin strip of cling film separately here as well to make extra sure.

Step 4: Polyfill time
Polyfill is good because it doesn't absorb water so won't dry out your cutting(s). It also acts as a bit of padding and will hold a bit of moisture.
Wet the polyfill and then squeeze out the excess water. You might want to hold the polyfill up above the sink for a couple of seconds as all the water should run to the bottom and then give it a little squeeze.
Wrap the polyfill around the cutting(s).

Step 5: Roll it up and box it
Place the polyfill in the bottom of the ziplock bag.
Roll it up so all the excess air is pushed out the bag. Seal the ziplock and tape the bag in place.
Place it in a box with some kind of padding inside - scrunched up newspaper, more polyfill etc. Use whatever you have, it doesn't matter much.

Step 6: Post it!
Title says it all really! Get down and get it posted :)
The cutting is best prepared and posted Monday morning to decrease the chances of it getting stuck with whichever postal carrier service you choose over the weekend.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 11:43:47 pm by GoodEarth »

GoodEarth

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +31
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 03:32:51 pm »

EXTRA NOTES:
If posting an unrooted cutting it is best to water the mother plant the day before so the cutting is hydrated to help sustain itself.

I expect a rooted cutting would do better than an unrooted one. You might want to root the cutting in some water before posting, up to you.

If you are posting cuttings / plants with soil on you may need to wash this off first, depending on where it's destination is, as a shipping requirement. Soil can carry diseases, pets and other issues.

The Seedist

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +35
  • A bookworm
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 10:43:37 am »

Faith as small as a mustard seed can move mountains.

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +63
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 09:14:17 pm »

i use same techniques described by other posters, but i'm bored and want to post too..

- un-pot plant and shake off most of the soil, careful not to damage roots.
- wrap roots in damp (not wet) paper towel, (i splash drops of water after wrapping dry towel)
- saran wrap the towel covered roots, (i place plant in middle of saran wrap, and fold over, and over)
- saran wrap the whole plant, (it usually needs a second saran sheet to cover the top of plant)

and so ... i used to wrap plants in a plastic bag to keep it from moving around in the box,
but now i usually just tape the saran-wrapped plant down in the box so it doesn't move.
i like to use painters tape so that doesn't make it impossible to remove from saran wrap.
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

JMZ

• Trading Score: +149
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 04:31:22 am »

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully I’ll have some salvia to mail next year. I’ve tried it like the second post says, and it didn’t work. It arrived looking like cooked spinach. Maybe it didn’t work because I always tried it in the hot months of summer and they just baked in the mail.
Kratom is my fountain of youth.