Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Intro from Central Texas  (Read 2653 times)

reosed

Intro from Central Texas
« on: June 24, 2018, 06:42:43 PM »

Hello,

I'm just getting into cultivation and gardening.  For the last 5 years, I've been reading and watching TED Talks about permaculture, food forests, aquaponics, and general gardening.  I've built 4 55-gallon planters over the last 5 years and plan to build some more for my elderly father.  He loves his garden and the garden barrels!

I normally don't post on boards but seems this one will be a board that can help with more than just knowledge.  I'm looking to transform the green belt behind my house into a permaculture food forest enthogenic  garden of sorts.  This green belt is great because it's a city owned water shed for about 5 different subdivision.  This means a few things:
  • Hardly anyone goes back there (Kids exploring, Teenagers smoking pot and drinking, and Adults that are exercising.)
  • It gets watered well when it rains
  • It's not my property!
  • It's easy to access
  • It's not trespassing during "park hours"
  • None of the plants I'm going to grow will be noticed as odd. (I don't think cactus will survive the kids and teenagers so I'm skipping them.
  • It won't be bulldozed for a very long time.  I'll likely be dead before then.

Plants I'd like to grow:
  • Desmanthus Leptolobus & Illinoensis (I think this already grows in the greenbelt, I just need to see seeds and flowers to make an ID)
  • Mimosa Hostilis (Might not like my zone)
  • Banisteria Caapi (Might not like my zone)
  • Comfrey (Chop and Drop fertilizer)
  • Acacia Acuminata narrow phyllode
  • Acacia Simplicifolia (Might not like my zone)
  • Borage (Companion Plant, not sure if it will help these plants but I doubt it hurts them.  Goes well with peach trees.)
  • Syrian Rue
  • Many plants that would be found in a food forest
  • Other plants that I trade for here

So some of these plants are grown for their roots.  I've recently found out about the affect Air Pruning has on root development.  The basic idea is that seedlings are put in pots that direct their roots to openings in the 4 inch container they are started in.  The roots reach the opening and air, the ends then dry out and cause the last 4 inches of root to start branching out for growth.  Once these branches hit the openings and dry out on the ends then the same branching happens again and more roots are grown.  This stops circling roots that can choke out a plant and causes the roots to grow in a dense fibrous mat.  Once the roots have formed enough to hold onto all of the dirt in the container when the plant is pulled out, it's time upgrade the container to a larger 8inch pot.  The same air pruning happens in the larger 8 inch pot and can be placed in the ground then or moved to a larger 12 inch pot to grow more roots!

While I haven't done this yet, I did order some of the rootmaker pots to start.  I'm thinking this will greatly increase the roots in the same amount of time that a normal container or ground grow would offer.  I'm not sure that the larger root system will make up for the thinner roots and root bark.  However, I'm going to try and post an experiment using the Desmanthus Leptolobus.

I'm also interested in air-layering as an effective way to expand the garden.  Look it up if you don't know what it is.  Since the whole plant is there to help grow the roots, you end up with massive roots in a short time frame.  You can even air prune while air-layering!  Should be able to just cut off the air-layer and stick it in the ground after 2-3 months of growth.

After my plants start seeding, I will be doing some giveaways and trading.  I'm limited to my seed count currently because I had to purchase all of my seeds.

Cheers,
Reosed
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 11:15:17 PM by reosed »

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Trading Score: +56
  • Howdy Y'all
Re: Intro from Central Texas
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 01:21:04 AM »

Welcome reused! I have lots of friends and family in Central TX; although I'm currently in DFW. In fact, we are headed your direction in a couple weeks for vacation.

Not sure of your exact microclimate, but you might consider passionflower and turbina corymbosa. I've always wanted to set loose a clump of piper auritum in the wild :P For sure it would be hardy for you, but may be quite invasive. So maybe best to keep that one in a well controlled setting.

Undergoing the formality of being alive.

Mandelbrot

• Trading Score: +10
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 03:46:32 AM »

Hi! I'm interested in seeing how your project turns out. Good luck!

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 07:54:36 AM »

I too am improving public green spaces, you will find plenty of all those species here!  Good luck and keep us updated on your own experiments!
Welcome!

OfCows

• Trading Score: +75
  • Glad to be here!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 07:05:19 PM »

Hey Reosed!

:) Welcome to the site! You'll love it here!

I really like your plan; I have a vaguely similar one I'm planning to start in Spain in the new year, perhaps we can compare notes and do some trading over time...

All the best,

OfCows
A man's errors are his portals to discovery...

GoodEarth

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +44
Removed by user
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 02:55:37 AM »

Removed by user
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 05:07:27 PM by GoodEarth »

reosed

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 02:18:58 AM »

I agree with not adding invasives to the area. While I will miss out on 5 or even 10 year old Caapi, I'm happy that it will die back each year and not run amock.

I found some seeds on something that I thought was Desmanthus Leptolobus, but the seeds are different. They are more round than elongated. I'm pretty sure these aren't Desmanthus  illinoensis as the plants are right next to the ground and the seeds are in straight pods, not shaped like a little ball of pods. I'll get some pics soon. I'd like help to identify it.

Even though I didn't find DL, I did get some seeds in the mail yesterday. I have 10 seeds in a boiled water soak right now. They will get put into ziplock with wet paper towels and when the roots poke through, I'll move half to the rootmaker pots, and half to normal pots.  I know I'm starting these mid season so I don't know when I will harvest. Maybe near the end of next season.

I also understand that 10 plants doesn't really make for a great experiment, but I feel this should let me know if I'm on to something or not.

Thanks for making me feel welcome.
Reo

Collymangro

• Grow, grow, grow your plants
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 01:23:34 AM »

Those are some awesome ideas. Deff looking up air layering. :)