Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Trichocereus seed viability - Any noticeable decline after ~6-months storage?  (Read 2675 times)

OfCows

• Trading Score: +75
  • Glad to be here!

Hi peeps,

I wonder if I might perhaps invite your feedback?

If I was to start collecting Trichocereus seed from reputable sources now - keeping it in as ideal a storage medium as practical - would I notice any real difference in viability if I was to hold off on planting them for six months or so?

I realise seed doesn't last forever, but most of the related threads I've read around the web are a bit vague on whether there's any real difference in germination rate over a matter of months, rather than years. I'm wondering whether I can start collecting now in preparation for relocating, or if it's best to wait until I get there.

:) Any and all advice most welcome!

OfCows
A man's errors are his portals to discovery...

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Trading Score: +56
  • Howdy Y'all

Just keep them cool and dry. Indoor room temperature is fine. You should see no difference after six months. The same goes for most other cacti as well. Viability for cacti is generally years as opposed to months or weeks like for tropicals and such.
Undergoing the formality of being alive.

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65

If stored properly, cacti seed just might outlive all of us.
I've grown out years old well stored cactus seeds many times, in some cases they germinate better because any dormancy factors have broken down and I once found a paper packet of mixed cactus seed in the back of a closet, no proper storage, the seeds germinated 8 years after the expiry date.
I've heard of a seed dealer ethically selling 20 year old seed that still passed germination tests.
80 year old cactus seeds have been grown before.

Cactus seed evolved to survive in baking hot dirt and sand for a year or two before sprouting if needed, a cool dark dry place is heaven compared to their natural environment. Six months is no worry.

OfCows

• Trading Score: +75
  • Glad to be here!

:D Unsurprisingly, my question has been answered quickly and in great detail - thanks guys, that's really good to know (albeit less positive for my wallet)! Much appreciated.

Now to try to be sensible with my seed shopping! Think I'll try to stick to sourcing the rarer species and hybrids for now, leaving the easily obtainable for once I've moved.

:) Have a great day!
A man's errors are his portals to discovery...