Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Datura With 6 Point Corolla Tube?  (Read 2277 times)

XDX

• Trading Score: +72
Datura With 6 Point Corolla Tube?
« on: August 26, 2018, 03:54:02 AM »

What is going on here?
this is happening with multiple flowers on multiple plants
first time really growing Datura, only Brugmansia for like a decade
I thought all Datura, all Solanaceae even, have flowers with 5 petals, am I wrong?
my patch is bout half & half, plants with 5-pointed flowers, plants with 6-pointed flowers
I think these are stramonium, I planted some of several species, nothing sprouted until I turned the soil a bit on round 2 and planted other things. but stramonium lived here before i did, i moved in to find a bunch of dead plants with seed pods, but none ever grew back past 2 years. well one popped up in a crack in the driveway last year actually... but so i read seeds can last in the soil, so these might just be resident stramonium, nothing i planted.
is this just a random mutation, does it happen often with D. stramonium? does another species produce 6-pointed flowers, is this not stramonium?
any idea how this plays into breeding? some varieties have double or triple corolla tubes, how does that mutation start? should mark the seed pods from the different flowers, keep them separate? or, other any advise of what to make of this or how to learn from it?

Inyan

• Trading Score: +28
  • Find what makes you happy and do it.
Re: Datura With 6 Point Corolla Tube?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 11:56:50 PM »

6 pointer Brugmansia and 7 pointer Brugmansia
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 12:00:42 AM by Inyan »
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

XDX

• Trading Score: +72
Re: Datura With 6 Point Corolla Tube?
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 04:55:42 AM »

Yes, Inyan! how'd i know you would chime in?

Did you breed those brugs that way on purpose, or was it random? And was it just those flowers, or were the whole trees that way?