Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Removed by user  (Read 3471 times)

GoodEarth

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +44
Removed by user
« on: May 20, 2018, 11:27:58 PM »

Removed by user
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 04:46:07 PM by GoodEarth »

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
Re: Looking forward to getting involved with this community
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 01:51:38 AM »

Welcome aboard :)

From what I've seen, peoples biggest source of mistakes with Peganum is thinking they like dry soil. Its an herb, it needs water when growing. Even most cacti need routine watering in spring/summer.
Do you intend to keep them indoors in pots through winter? They naturally die back to soil level (or close to it) in fall. This winter cycle would be challenging indoors, my best guess would be to keep watering to a bare minimum and keep the pots someplace very cold if kept indoors through winter. Another option (in USDA zone 6+ like the UK) would be to wait until dieback and then plant the pot in the ground somewhere dryish and cover it with some leaves and sticks until early spring.
Every success I've had with Peganum was by planting seed directly into the garden and watering daily for the first spring and summer. They can even be transplanted around when a year or two old if watered abundantly for a week after transplant.
More people should grow Peganums.

GoodEarth

• Trader
Removed by user
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 04:43:42 PM »

Removed by user
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 04:46:24 PM by GoodEarth »

OfCows

• Trading Score: +75
  • Glad to be here!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 07:15:58 PM »

;) Welcome!

I've only recently started posting here myself and love it! Good luck with your cacti-growing, it's a lot of fun.

Anyhoo, I posted some Phalaris links in response to this thread from Gollum the other day - they might be of interest to you too - http://sharetheseeds.me/forum/index.php?topic=5240.msg40121

I'm in the UK too and am about to order a load of williamsii seeds, PM me if you'd like some and I'll sort you out once they're in hand?
A man's errors are his portals to discovery...

GoodEarth

• Trader
Removed by user
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 09:30:45 PM »

Removed by user
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 04:46:43 PM by GoodEarth »

OfCows

• Glad to be here!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 01:17:15 AM »

;) You're very welcome MR!

Sorry, forgot you can't PM when you're new here (I was only recently promoted myself). Feel free to hit me up when you're able, it's always nice to know plant-people in the UK!

I'm in a tiny flat in London so not growing anything too obscure right now...

Currently:
Trichocereus (various types of bridgesii, cuzcoensis, macrogonus, pachanoi and peruvianus - plus some monstrose and some tiny baby seedlings) 
Lophophora williamsii (from different sources but probably three main types)
Salvia divinorum
Acacia simplex
Nepenthes alata
Bladderwort
Butterwort
Trumpet Pitcher
Monkey's Tail
Lithops
(several species)
Mesembs (a few species)
Cacti (loads of various!)
Succulents (loads)
Sempervivum (various)
Fairy Elephant's Feet
Orange tree (about three-feet high with the occasional tiny orange!)
Etc.

Didn't Make It:
Trichocereus terscheckii (~7-inch cutting from Spain that I never quite managed to root)
Trichocereus pachanoi monstrose cristata (have had several of various sizes but always ended up making them rot within two years)
Trichocereus peruvianus (a foot long one was accidentally over-watered and rotted)
Lophophora williamsii (I've grown these on and off since I was a kid but somehow still manage to cause one or two to rot now and then)

The moral of the story so far seems to be don't over-water your cacti!

For what it's worth, under normal UK indoor conditions (I don't put the heating on much) I get approximately 1-1.5-inch growth a year on my Trichocereus.

I've found Trichocereus mutants and bridgesii to be more prone to rotting than the other Trichocereus species I've listed here. Their seedlings and Lophophora prefer less water and less direct sunlight.

I stop watering my cacti (we're talking ~5-15-inch plants in cactus soil mixed with the famous Tesco Everyday Low-Dust Cat Litter - worth sourcing) around late Autumn and don't start again until early Spring.

Salvia I've never got past the foot high stage, but the one I have currently seems to thrive on having a freezer bag over the top of it...

:-\ I'll stop here anyway as this probably more properly belongs in a PM! Good luck with your growing and let me know if you want a few Peyote seeds - I'm going to order them right now.

GoodEarth

• Trader
Removed by user
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 10:44:10 PM »

Removed by user
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 04:47:31 PM by GoodEarth »

JayWise

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +19

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 08:13:00 PM by JayWise »

OfCows

• Glad to be here!

Hey MR!

;) This is the one - I forget the type of rock, but basically this is used/recommended by a lot of UK cacti growers...improves drainage...works beautifully for me when mixed with standard cacti soil...

Cheers for PM, will reply in a moment.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 03:10:29 PM by OfCows »

OfCows

• Glad to be here!

Hi JayWise, 

Please to make your acquaintance!

:o Your garden sounds much nicer than mine - massive respect for such a diverse range grown in the UK. Wish I had more available space. I'm having to hold off until I relocate to get some serious growth going, but not too long to go now...

With regard to Lophophora: I'm waiting on delivery of various williamsii localities (1-3.5cm) so will have a few spare once they arrive. Should be within the month, I think...

and terscheckii: I have access to a mature plant in Spain so will be trying to get myself another cut at some point over the next few months - I can try to grab one for you (or some seed) when I do, if useful?

:D Perhaps we should have a UK meetup sometime, if anyone's up for it?

Good luck with the iboga especially - I'm hoping to get in on some seed if a co-op gets going on here, so your experience growing in this climate may well prove invaluable!

Have a good day...

GoodEarth

• Trader
Removed by user
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 09:42:56 PM »

Removed by user
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 04:47:41 PM by GoodEarth »

JayWise

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +19
Re: UK based - Looking forward to getting involved with this community
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 09:45:41 AM »

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 08:10:59 PM by JayWise »

OfCows

• Glad to be here!
Re: UK based - Looking forward to getting involved with this community
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 11:45:15 AM »

Hi Jay,

:D Wicked, me and GoodEarth are up for it if nothing else! Will keep you posted - waiting until my life slows down a little then will hit you up.

Enjoy your weekend!