Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: An Introduction to Me...  (Read 2043 times)

OfCows

• Trading Score: +75
  • Glad to be here!
An Introduction to Me...
« on: May 11, 2018, 05:32:03 PM »

;D Greetings everyone!

This is my first proper post here after originally signing up several years ago but never quite getting around to posting (too little time/too much lurking!).

I’ll take this opportunity to say a sincere THANK YOU to everyone who’s shared their thoughts and knowledge to contribute to this and other like-minded communities!

As it’s my first post, I figured I’d share some info about me and why I’m here…

I’m presently situated in the wonderful UK and despite this a longtime lover of shamanic plants (and plants in general), having so far tried my hand at growing various Lophophora, Trichocereus, Salvia, Psilocybes, Nepenthes, Aloes, succulents, etc.

Currently, I have quite several species growing in my small one-bedroom flat including (off the top of my head):
  • Aloe (~10 species)
  • Echinopsis bridgesii (the “original”)
  • Frithia pulchra
  • Lithops (~4 species)
  • Lobelia (2 species)
  • Lophophora williamsii (~8 species)
  • Mesembs (~3 species)
  • Nepenthes (2 species)
  • Sempervivum (~3 species)
  • Senecia (~3 species)
  • Trichocereus bridgesii (~7 types)
  • Trichocereus bridgesii Monstrose (2 types)
  • Trichocereus cuzcoensis (2 types)
  • Trichocereus macrogonus (2 types)
  • Trichocereus pachanoi (~6 types)
  • Trichocereus peruvianus
  • Several million assorted cacti
Tiny flat aside, in the next year or so I’ll be relocating to the Costa Brava in Spain. I am considering the purchase of several thousand metres of rural land in the area, with the intention of establishing a modest yet pleasing repository of shamanic plants. Once I have the land, I’ll start obtaining seed and live plants for as many varieties of each plant listed below as practical, by trade and donation. I hope to eventually be able to share cuttings and seed with the wider global community, to do my small part in keeping these species both alive and available to interested parties, as well as possibly open to occasional workshops/private visits from researchers and other interested parties.

Here’s what I’d like to try to grow there (I’ll have an indoor area, an outside area and a polytunnel or greenhouse too):
  • Acacia acuminata
  • Acacia burkittii
  • Acacia confusa
  • Acacia floribunda
  • Acacia phlebophylla
  • Acacia simplex
  • Banisteriopsis caapi
  • Calea zacatechichi
  • Desmanthus Illinoisis
  • Desmanthus leptolobus
  • Hawaiian baby woodrose
  • Lophophora williamsii
  • Mimosa tenuiflora
  • Peganum harmala
  • Petalostylis cassioides
  • Psychotria viridis
  • Salvia divinorum
  • Tabernathe iboga
  • Trichocereus bridgesii
  • Trichocereus macrogonus
  • Trichocereus pachanoi
  • Trichocereus peruvianus
  • Trichocereus scopulicola
  • Trichocereus tersheckii
Eventually, I’m hoping to grow as many of these species and their strains and hybrids as possible (I’m aware not all of them will enjoy the climate zone but haven’t gone through the list weeding them out yet). Any suggestions for shamanic plants I’ve missed that would be suitable for growing in the Costa Brava, please let me know by replying to this post.

I’m hoping that through being at least somewhat active on these forums I’ll be able to make some like-minded friends and pick up some knowledge on the way! ;) Much obliged if you’ve bothered to read this far; thanks for reading and the absolute best maximum health and happiness to you and yours!

For now, I’ll leave you with a poor-quality photo of one of my windows and one of a Salvia divinorum cutting I'm rescuing from a friend's clutches - in need of a bit of TLC now that spring has sprung!

OfCows 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 08:10:40 PM by OfCows »
A man's errors are his portals to discovery...

Inyan

• Trading Score: +28
  • Find what makes you happy and do it.
Re: An Introduction to Me...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 07:46:13 PM »

Looks like you have excellent taste indeed. Glad to have you on board. Having moved across continents myself a few times, I can definitely see you wanting to amass a lot of seed and perhaps a very few truly nice specimens to carry with you. I can't tell you how many plants I've had to leave behind over the years. Only the best ever make it.
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

OfCows

• Glad to be here!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 08:10:13 PM »

Thanks for the welcome Inyan!

Indeed! I'm hoping the Spanish weather will breathe some life back into my plants once we finally get there...

As to amassing seed, I'm willing and able but trying to hold off buying anything I'm not able to plant in my home now. I'm scared if I start sourcing larger quantities of seed from the relevant species and strains they'll lose viability in the time between now and relocating! I'll also be planning an extended trip to South America next year (after I've moved) so hopefully I can find some good (ethically-sourced) cuttings and seed there to bring back too.

;)

JayWise

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +19
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 09:43:54 AM »

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 08:11:16 PM by JayWise »

OfCows

• Glad to be here!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 11:46:10 AM »

Things are accelerating here due to Brexit, so looks like I might even be over there sometime this Autumn!