Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Grafting advice  (Read 3374 times)

Da-1

• Trading Score: +3
  • peyote pup
Grafting advice
« on: May 07, 2018, 10:09:27 PM »

Hello fellow members

I need a bit of advice with this, should I take the whole top off and root it, I can cut it where I did try to graft awhile ago, or I could cut the tip of the new shoot and graft to that!!! I would like more experienced members to advice me before I go chopping at them, I will be grafting this williamsii I recently purchased to the top it's the right one, thanks for your time and all advice in advance.

Regards, Da-1
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 07:11:37 AM by Da-1 »
Its not rocket science

MeanGreen

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +36
Re: Grafting advice
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 12:32:19 AM »

I'd definitely recommend grafting on the pup, with any graft for best success you want to graft on new growth from the same year.
First because in older growth the core will be woody, and second because new growth is where the auxins are concentrated.

Best of luck  :)

Inyan

• Trading Score: +28
  • Find what makes you happy and do it.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 01:06:07 AM »

I'd definitely recommend grafting on the pup, with any graft for best success you want to graft on new growth from the same year.
First because in older growth the core will be woody, and second because new growth is where the auxins are concentrated.

Best of luck  :)

While I agree with MeanGreen that the top might be the best, I'd personally let the pup grow a bit more and then cut the pup off. Graft just below the pup as the growth does not look old enough to have gotten woody. But, if you like simple, fast, and easy then by all means... listen to MeanGreen.
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Da-1

• Trading Score: +3
  • peyote pup
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 07:10:59 AM »

Hi MeanGreen and Inyan

Thanks for the advice, now that's the reason I made the post I am torn between using the pup and taking it off as the stock is not too woody, but then I did try to graft on top about 2 years ago so it is oldish but not brown and hard, I'll wait and see a few more replies then choose, many many thanks again for the advice given and one's still to come.

Regards, Da-1
Its not rocket science

Inyan

• Trading Score: +28
  • Find what makes you happy and do it.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 07:04:48 PM »

Hi MeanGreen and Inyan

Thanks for the advice, now that's the reason I made the post I am torn between using the pup and taking it off as the stock is not too woody, but then I did try to graft on top about 2 years ago so it is oldish but not brown and hard, I'll wait and see a few more replies then choose, many many thanks again for the advice given and one's still to come.

Regards, Da-1

Here is a quick bonus for cutting below that pup and saving the pup for growing out.... The bonus is that you may have enough taken off the top to effectively stimulate the stock to pup again after it has grafted.

With that said, if pups started would you want to allow them to grow and slow the growth of your grafted scion? I sometimes do allow those pups stimulated by my grafting actions to form and grow. Not removing them assuredly slows down the scion I am attempting to grow faster.

With all of that said, you could graft as MeanGreen has suggested to the top pup. Allow that top scion to grow larger... say 12 inches and then remove that scion and the pup it is on. That would force your stock to more effectively push out pups faster. Especially so if you were to apply a heavy dose of fertilizer the week before you cut followed by a long soak 24 hour soak in water.
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.