Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: HELLO! I have a question about cuttings - step inside! :3  (Read 2442 times)

KittyParty

HELLO! I have a question about cuttings - step inside! :3
« on: May 04, 2018, 07:49:22 PM »

I have a few nice cuts from some nice south american columner succulents. :3

They sat in a south facing window for 1.5-2months and 95% have a nice roots forming. Im already starting to water them as they dry.

My question is this, how long do you wait for roots to develop before you put them in full sun?

Thank you and good to be part of these forums! :3 =^o^=

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
Re: HELLO! I have a question about cuttings - step inside! :3
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 08:11:19 PM »

iam not cacti expert, but if they have roots they are ready to be planted and go in full sun, but see what others suggest :)
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

modern

• Trading Score: +199
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 09:16:48 PM »

If they are not use to the full sun in your area they will burn if placed directly in full sun. You can put an unrooted cutting in full sun if it is already use to it.

If you got a cutting that is from a cooler climate and was not grown in full sun and was sitting in a box for weeks start introducing more and more sunlight.

Worse case it will sunburn the tip and will callous and look ugly for a while then will pup or break thru the top and continue to grow.
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

KittyParty

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 02:25:50 PM »

Thanks  ;D for the replies friends. I have had my cuts in full sun and heat for over a week now and only one seems to be showing small signs of burn (minor red color on new growth)

Most are doing great. My biggest concern now is two of my colomner south american succulents have thin ribs like they are dehydrated? They have been like this since before they were outsidw.

I have been watering everyone quite regularly especially the two i am referring to.

The new inch or half inch of new growth is pretty normal feeling though, thick and fat.
 Just the old growth ribs are thin and withered like. Are these doomed? These are small 6 inch cuttings which i bought 13 of but only those two have the worrisome old thin growth.

In other news, my 10 year old Ariocarpus var "will" i got on ebay flowered its first time since i got it after being outside for a week!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 02:42:44 PM by KittyParty »