Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: My E novo's leaves are doing something weird  (Read 2472 times)

Skink

• Trading Score: +30
  • Amateur herpetologist
My E novo's leaves are doing something weird
« on: February 01, 2018, 11:23:06 PM »

So my e Novo's leaves are beginning to yellow and some are beginning to curl and even fall off. Some are starting to acquire a chewed up appearance (shown in pics attached) which doesn't make sense to me as there are no pests. I know last time it did this it was not being watered enough but I've been watering mine every time the soil dries out (to prevent fungus gnats). It doesn't look the same as when the plant goes deciduous either. What other things could cause this. Right now it only gets natural light from a big window. Any help would be appreciated because I'd desperately love to keep this plant.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 11:27:05 PM by Skink »
I'm lonesome when you're around. I'm never lonesome when I'm by myself...

flip

• For every winter, there will be a spring.
Re: My E novo's leaves are doing something weird
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 10:24:46 AM »

I bet, You have a beetle or some other insect eating them at night.

There's a few sneaky beetles that I've found on some of my plants, little boogers would hide in the soil during the day, then came out at night and eat the leaves all the way down to the stem before moving onto a fresh leaf.

They'll also "shadowed" the pant stems so when I tried to catch them they would hide on the other side of the stems, opting to pop off and fall to the ground when I got too close.

Never got a proper ID on them... and never saw the species again after I nuked the caapi with insecticide.

Ignorance and hubris will be the downfall of us all.
Peace and Respects

Skink

• Trading Score: +30
  • Amateur herpetologist
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 12:39:16 PM »

Huh I've checked extensively and I don't see any pests but I'll try again. What time did you check that you found the most activity from the beetles? And also, what did they look like, roughly. I've been noticing tiny brown beetles in other parts of my house but for the most part they've left my plants alone.
I'm lonesome when you're around. I'm never lonesome when I'm by myself...

flip

• For every winter, there will be a spring.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 03:11:44 PM »

I was coming home around midnight - 2 am when I was finding them on my caapi and especially the Acacia treelets.
They were everywhere all over the plants and traveling from the rose bushes 5 ft away.
the size was 1 cm, completely black with a grooved exoskeletons

I collected a sample and took them to some people to ID.  nobody was able to pin it down.
damn things.

since I was living close to a port I took them to be a new invasive species that was trying to get a foothold in the area.

So I went nuclear on them and took them all out.

OF course, this might not be your case, it's just an example of the lengths a little plant muncher will go through to be unnoticed.

From what you've written and shown in the images it does seem to be an insect feeding on your plant.
Ignorance and hubris will be the downfall of us all.
Peace and Respects