Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fool proof grafting seedlings  (Read 8155 times)

bosqueberg

• Trading Score: +18
Re: Fool proof grafting seedlings
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 02:47:57 PM »

Awesome thread and info! I strongly recommend checking out Buddy Tape. Way easier to work with than parafilm. Stretchy and sticks to itself quite well. Seals up much better. You should increase your success rates by using BT.

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 12:41:44 AM »

Tried this tek a few hours ago.,. i only had cling-wrap to use, sooo we'll see...
buddytape looks interesting, but prices that i found are higher than parafilm!
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

Inyan

• Trading Score: +28
  • Find what makes you happy and do it.
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 01:20:22 AM »

Awesome thread and info! I strongly recommend checking out Buddy Tape. Way easier to work with than parafilm. Stretchy and sticks to itself quite well. Seals up much better. You should increase your success rates by using BT.

The buddy tape I know... costs significantly more than parafilm. With that being said, on the low end I generally get 97.5% success rate with my small seedling grafts using parafilm. The older the seedling the better the percentage that takes. I can get well over 1,000 grafts done with a single $5.00 roll of parafilm. Out of 1000 seedling grafts just a few weeks old, I will have less than 20 that don't make it.

Do you have an inexpensive source for buddy tape?
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Inyan

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2018, 12:53:41 AM »

Tried this tek a few hours ago.,. i only had cling-wrap to use, sooo we'll see...
buddytape looks interesting, but prices that i found are higher than parafilm!

Cling wrap is not my favorite, but it does work. Post some pictures in this this thread if you took them of the process otherwise post some pictures of your finished product in a few days when you get the chance please... I love seeing new grafts and help out when I can.

A quick look at my grafts done today. Tried to take these showing just a few steps again. Emphasis on placement of seedling/scion off center helps me personally.

bosqueberg

• Trading Score: +18
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2018, 06:55:36 PM »

The buddy tape I know... costs significantly more than parafilm. With that being said, on the low end I generally get 97.5% success rate with my small seedling grafts using parafilm. The older the seedling the better the percentage that takes. I can get well over 1,000 grafts done with a single $5.00 roll of parafilm. Out of 1000 seedling grafts just a few weeks old, I will have less than 20 that don't make it.

Yes, it is expensive, but it goes a long way. Stretches a lot, and the rolls have a lot on them. The material is very thin, so think there is a lot more length on the BT vs parafilm even before stretching. If you are a good stretcher, you could really get a lot out of a roll. I've used mine a bit and can't even tell there is a dent in the roll yet.

Think mine was purchased on Amazon. Have seen it for sale from members on other plant forums, but not sure about the price.

If you are getting good grafting success with pf, then might not be worth it. I just like working with it, and pf aggravates me.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 06:56:37 PM by bosqueberg »

Inyan

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2018, 11:37:22 PM »

Yes, it is expensive, but it goes a long way. Stretches a lot, and the rolls have a lot on them. The material is very thin, so think there is a lot more length on the BT vs parafilm even before stretching. If you are a good stretcher, you could really get a lot out of a roll. I've used mine a bit and can't even tell there is a dent in the roll yet.

Think mine was purchased on Amazon. Have seen it for sale from members on other plant forums, but not sure about the price.

If you are getting good grafting success with pf, then might not be worth it. I just like working with it, and pf aggravates me.

I really like the sound of the stuff. I paid 5$ a roll for my parafilm and each roll lasted well over 1,000 grafts. I'd have to have a few inches of the stuff to play with before I could sink that much into a roll of the stuff to be honest given the fact that the amount of failed grafts I have are negligible to none I'd have to see some real magic happen to make me switch. I'm not saying its not hidden in that roll, but I'm not willing to spend that kind of money when what I'm working with does great. If I could acquire a small sample for 5$ I'd be all over it to see if it warranted switching over though. I'd give it a fair trial side by side with my parafilm.

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 09:59:43 PM »

My first grafting attempt that didn't get knocked over..
?How long should i wait before removing plastic wrap?

the cling wrap did not cling or stretch well.. 
i see how parafilm could have been better,
but it worked better than nothing for sure.

(razerblade was sterilized with lighter, and cooled/cleaned with hydrogen peroxide and water)

(Two A.Diffusa pups were cut with sterile blade, and dropped in 1 part (3%)H2O2 and 9 parts H2O)

Periski-stems were wrapped, then cut right above wrap. Pup was placed on the top, and wrapped.

So remove plastic in a few days.. is that right? i would think at least a week.. MANY MANY THAnKS~!
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

Inyan

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 02:53:24 PM »

1st a before and after graft done with cling wrap. Note, I don't like this method, but it does work. What you are looking at here are two seedlings grafted together inside this little wedge. I like to share this one as it shows a little light through the bottom and one side indicating that the connections are not perfect. They don't have to be, but imperfections like this can occur due to removing the cling wrap too soon and allowing the tissue to dry out on the side.
They can also simply occur due to improper alignment/
jagged cuts from multiple slices--try to make just one cut or two in the case of a wedge graft when possible.
jarring during or after grafting via bumping -- happens most often when the graft is not secure enough
pulling at the graft/happens when one removes cling wrap. Often caused by spines hanging up in the cling wrap or being too hasty with the removal.

Now, to your question... how long to leave the cling wrap on. That depends on how fast your stock is growing, but as a general rule 1-2 weeks is adequate time to leave cling wrap on. However, like parafilm... if you simply allow nature to do some of the work of removal for you then you will often fare better. Leaving cling wrap on too long can stunt or deform a graft. Keep an eye out as your stock may grow faster or slower. Another reason when I graft with this method I look at my grafts daily.

This is what I mean. With parafilm I can leave the wrap on indefinitely. The scion simply grows through the parafilm and the parafilm eventually falls off. No worries.

With cling wrap, I simply remove the holding device... in this case a clothespin and allow the cling wrap to loosen up on its own over several hours. When I come back if it is not sufficiently loose I can pull at the edges bit by bit to loosen it up. Problems mainly occur if spines are left on catch in the cling wrap. Removal of spines helps with cling wrap in my opinion to prevent those spines from catching and pulling at the cling wrap. However, even leaving them in they are rarely a problem unless they are sufficiently stout and long and the graft has barely taken. Bottom line, if you have have any worries... leave it be is often after you have unsecured your parafilm. As your graft grows stronger and bigger it will generally finish popping off the parafilm for you. Never rush a graft is my motto, but we are all guilty of it from time to time. I know when I first started grafting some few decades ago I ruined a great many grafts by rushing to peak or looking too soon. I still do as a matter of fact as now I have the added experience and knowledge on how to mess up my grafts with style. Impatience is never good.

Seedling graft on Trichocereus. I also did with cling wrap. That one was only left in place for a single week if memory serves. I had to remove the cling wrap as black mold started to creep in... another draw back I have found that occurs for me more often when using cling wrap rather than parafilm. My personal remedy to the black mold if I catch it early is to poke holes in my cling wrap to let it breath just a little.

Lastly, one need not use any wrap at all as was the case with this triple graft. Notice the bottle remains around it. I like this style as its fun and makes use of water bottles, gatorade, powerade, etc. type bottles. Simply cut and fill with dirt and your stock plant leaving the top attached on one side to the bottom of the bottle. I.e. don't cut the bottle all the way through. Now, with this style graft you rely on a slight humidity provided by the micro green house you will create when you fold the top of your bottle back over your grafted scions. Wrap the finish product with tape and secure in a position where it gets dappled sun light and no more 1 hour of direct sunlight in a day. If too much water condenses in the bottle... remove the cap and let it vent. If there is not clear humidity and condensation in the bottle you can use a straw to put a little water down the sides of the bottle. Not too much though and make sure not to water this bottle or the stock Pereskiopsis for 3-5 days prior to grafting or your grafted seedlings that are unsecured will likely simply float off. You can also cheat with this method and simply use parafilm. to secure your seedlings to the graft. After 7-14 days depending on rate of growth... I will then water. Remove cap for a few days. Then remove top of bottle if no signs of scion drying out are present. If scion appears to be drying out... mist or add water and then cover again.

Hope that helps you my friend.
Next time.... parafilm! Laughing... so long as your method works 97.5% of the time for you or more... I don't think it really matters which technique you become proficient at. Lets get everyone to that 97.5% success rate or better mark though. That last statement is my greed talking as I love seeing new eye candy fast!

Inyan

Slab Grafting
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2018, 11:29:50 PM »

Slab Grafting... as you can see, these are a lot bigger than my usual grafts.

Inyan

24 hours into this incredibly large graft
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2018, 08:54:55 PM »

An update for the wee little giants just a day old today

Inyan

Having fun today
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2018, 05:31:48 AM »

Trichocereus bridgesii pure species = yellow
Pages: 1 [2]