Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fool proof grafting seedlings  (Read 8164 times)

Inyan

• Trading Score: +28
  • Find what makes you happy and do it.
Fool proof grafting seedlings
« on: January 26, 2018, 08:30:47 PM »

Brief description of what your looking at.
1. soak seedlings/ this helps to clean and hydrate. 0min-24 hours (min-max range) I generally soak 5 minutes -1hr
2. Wrap your stock. The obvious leaves etc. must be removed first. 1 inch piece of parafilm or so is needed for this.
3. Piece for top of graft to hold scion/seedling in place
4. slowly stretch that puppy out nice and tight so it feels like saran wrap or slightly thinner
5. Put a seedling in your mouth to hold it in place/grab razor blade and slice stock to create a nice smooth surface
6. Place your seedling on cut surface/offset

7. Gently drape parafilm wrap over seedling and slowly bring all sides down without putting pressure on seedling itself. You may wish to hold seedling in place by placing a slight bit of pressure over seedling while drawing down sides of parafilm. After seedling is secured off center and without pulling on parafilm you may twist parafilm around sides to draw the seedling in tighter. Larger seedlings may get a little pressure or more man handling without fear. 1-2 week old seedlings may be crushed if you are not delicate.

8. Prepare your label and place label.

The size of the seedling used in this grafting procedure is the size I use when I want 99-100% of my grafts to take and I'm not rushing things.

The size you see already grafted and growing in the last slide... those were grafted at 1 week of age and came from the same batch of seedlings. I tend to graft seedlings at the 1-2 week mark when I don't mind losing a few or there is an albino/variegate that I want to speed up and I'm worried they won't make it. Grafts 2 weeks old give me a 95-97% success rate with this method. 1 week or less grafts give me 80-90% success rate on average. As with everything there are always other variables that may come into play to bring your success rate up or down with any particular batch of seedlings. Did the weather drop in temperature?

Was there a marked change in humidity?....not as much of a factor for parafilm grafting, but is important with non-parafilm grafting. Did I use a fresh razor blade for stock and a new razor for scions? A dull razor will effect your success rate. If using a separate blade to remove leaves and cut stock from scion... i.e. two blades are used I will tend to only graft 25-50 seedlings per blade. If I go away from my project I will discard the blade or use it only to remove leaves which will then give me 3 blades per graft.
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Inyan

Re: Fool proof grafting seedlings
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 08:55:19 PM »

Quick run down on different stock for you.

MRTree

• Trading Score: +67
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 10:08:57 PM »

Practical , nice
what rose and iris and carnation so intensely signified was nothing more, and nothing less, than what they were, a transience that was yet eternal life, a perpetual perishing..source
of all existence

danzick

• Trading Score: +238
  • So many seeds, so little time.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 01:07:07 AM »

Thanks Inyan!! :)

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 01:16:18 AM »

needed this thanks!  :) ;D 8)
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

Inyan

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 03:55:46 AM »

Thanks guys, I really love grafting as it is one of my top 10 activities that relaxes me. I've tried many different styles of grafting over the years and this method here has easily made my grafts much more foolproof. I've had trays of graft flipped and tossed right after grafting and still had them take with this method. The added benefit of being able to graft year round with ease without regard to humidity or temperature so long as it is not freezing makes it my personal favorite way of grafting. I honestly believe with this simple tool... a $5.00 spool of parafilm will get almost anyone who has never grafted up to a 97-99% success rate with seedlings this size if they simply practice a few grafts each day. I don't generally gamble, but I'd be willing to bet it would take less than a months practice for a person who has never grafted to achieve that rate of success with this method provided they were not wired from drinking too much coffee or such when they were making the grafts.

Desolus

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +14
  • Grow a pair and fly the black
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 08:19:55 PM »

Sweet! I'm going to have to get some cacti to try this with...

Inyan

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 03:35:34 AM »

If you or anyone else needs some help with this method feel free to post your attempts here or any questions you might have. I haven't met anyone I couldn't teach how to graft regardless of age so long as they were old enough to hold a razor blade and when too young for that... if an adult will make the cut for them... I still believe they can be taught. The more people we have that no how to salvage a variegated seedling that might not otherwise make it the better in my opinion. Never mind speeding up next generation of hopefuls for early release.

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 05:35:17 AM »

Where does one get parafilm?
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

Inyan

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 11:25:12 PM »

Where does one get parafilm?

https://www.amazon.com/Roll-Parafilm-Nursery-Grafting-Tape/dp/B00FFTRTBO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1517264361&sr=8-6&keywords=parafilm+grafting+tape

Any of the below will work. Last 2 rolls I bought cost me 5$ total. You really won't need more than that unless you are grafting more than a few thousand seedlings. I've used all of the above. They are very similar, just the larger diameter takes more work to tear down to size for seedlings, but is better for larger cacti.

Inyan

Idiot proof wrapping of seedlings
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 09:43:39 PM »

I present pictures for how I wrap my seedlings for those that like that sort of thing. I am of the opinion that if your at least 5 years of age... you should be as good with these simple techniques.

Important: Do not crush seedlings. Place stretched out parafilm like a drape over seedling that is off center as in picture 1. Lightly pull down without exerting force on seedling. You can reposition one hand or get a helper to lightly hold seedling in place if you need to, but seedling should not move if no pressure is applied. As your wrap a bit at a time around the stock... your seedling will naturally be drawn into the stock. If at the end you suspect not enough pressure is on your seedling or your seedling is not secure enough... you may then make a light scrunching motion at the scion where you first wrapped the scion. This should draw your seedling down a bit more and create a very tight union, but be careful... it is easy to get that seedling union too tight. This will result in a smashed union and your grafted seedling will eventually turn to mush and or dry out.

If this is oversimplified, I apologize. It is my intention to have everyone 5 years of age and up grafting as good or better than myself. Call it simple greed. The more I teach, the more that becomes available to myself sooner rather than later as more people start grafting more seedlings.

Please note, this is a hands free method. You should be able to walk away from your grafts at any stage once the seedling is in place if you needed to. Please don't do that however.

As I like to say, Get er done! A long delay can and will upset the likelihood that your graft will take.

Desolus

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +14
  • Grow a pair and fly the black
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 05:53:39 AM »

What host varieties would you suggest and what are the relative carictaristics of each?

What do you do to prepair the seedling it's self for grafting/how is the seedling joined to the host?

I'll think of some other things to add here, just can't think of anything else atm...

Inyan

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 02:33:55 AM »

What host varieties would you suggest and what are the relative carictaristics of each?

What do you do to prepair the seedling it's self for grafting/how is the seedling joined to the host?

I'll think of some other things to add here, just can't think of anything else atm...

I'm not going to to into each and every cacti as a potential stock plant. I will tell you my favorite for growing seedlings fast is Trichocereus. My favorite for growing many seedings a bit slower is Pereskiopsis. If I want something in-between then I choose Quiabentia zehntneri. Its all about the space though. If I graft onto Pereskiopsis... I try to get my seedling off and onto something a bit bigger sooner rather than later. If grafting onto Trichocereus I don't have that concern.

Preparation: If growing hydroponic or bog-ponic seedlings you don't need to worry about a long soak, but I still tend to soak for 15 or so minutes regardless as it knocks off some of the mud clinging to my seedlings. You will also want to cut your seedlings to remove a small bit of tissue so you can position your seedling off center of the stock growth ring/vascular ring. I've presented some pictures of that already.

You may position your seedling anyway that is comfortable for you to take that small bit of tissue off to allow you to place your seedling onto of your stock plants vascular ring. The straighter your seedling stands the better in most cases. Here is one way I have done it in the  pictures to follow.

The seedling having been cut in half either horizontally or vertically and placed on the vascular ring will naturally become a part of that other cacti it has been grafted to provided it doesn't float off via the cacti/stock's own juices, get knocked off, or dry out.

You can increase humidity to prevent drying out, or you can simply use parafilm. I use parafilm to prevent drying out as well as to prevent the seedling from floating off or getting knocked off. I can literally graft my seedlings and then throw them across the room and they will still take as they are secured with parafilm.

The bottom line when looking at potential stock is that you ideally want it to be well rooted and actively growing. You want to cut into fresh green growth that is not woody. If you find your stock is even slightly woody, you have cut too low and or used too old of a piece of stock. You are going to evaluate your own stock cacti as you realize how that stock grows and the speed at which it grows will be transferred to your seedling. 

Important: If you don't want to use parafilm... do not water your stock cacti a few days before and after you are going to graft. If you are going to use parafilm... water away. If your not using parafilm... keep the humidity high. If your using parafilm don't worry about a thing. If your going to have strong winds or people banging into your grafts... use parafilm.

With parafilm your not going to have to remember to remove anything or do anything special. Just graft and leave it in place. One more important thing though... don't put more than one layer on top of your graft. It has to grow through that thin layer you left in place. It is the sides of the graft down at the stock that will have a thicker layer of parafilm simply because the top piece is touching the layer you wrapped around your stock before you began.

Inyan

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 12:31:05 AM »

Trichocereus scopulicola x T. terscheckii update here for those following

Inyan

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 03:04:48 AM »

Update to seedlings grafted on Trichocereus

Now, if your following the progression of these two seedlings grafted onto Trichocereus your probably asking why are they not growing? As you can see, they are staying nice and plump and that means they are still alive and in no real danger given that they have made it through the first few weeks at this size unscathed.

The answer: The side pups on one are stealing the energy from the grafted seedling. And the other seedling is actually grafted to a small pup on a much larger Trichocereus. Cutting a pup like this while it may take, may also resort in renewed vigor somewhere else in the main stock cacti or even additional popping. I've decided to allow the pupping and the change of growth to get a few pups to play with.

The easy fix should we wish to push growth into these two seedlings is to either remove all pups from the first seedling grafts stock cacti. The other seedlings easy fix would be to simply remove the top portion of the Trichocereus so that the small pup it was grafted to then is elevated to the highest point on the cacti. 
Pages: [1] 2