Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Multiple potassium nitrate seed treatments?  (Read 2387 times)

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
Multiple potassium nitrate seed treatments?
« on: January 06, 2018, 08:45:29 PM »

As I'm sure half of you know,  potassium nitrate soaks are used to help break dormancy in seed with physical and/or chemical germination inhibitors.
I see it used anywhere from 0.1 to 4%. Often in place of cold stratification, sometimes after cold, and once or twice before cold. One thing I've never found is people using multiple cycles of KNO3 treatment in combination with cold or cold/warm cycling.
I'm trying a fourth time to get yaupon (Ilex vomitoria) to grow from seed. If the seed is just planted it can take 4 or 5 years to sprout. I'm considering doing multiple cycles of in vitro KNO3/warm/cold cycles in an attempt to get seed to germinate by spring.
Has anyone seen anything remotely like this being done?

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
Re: Multiple potassium nitrate seed treatments?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 03:25:37 AM »

Nope.
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
Re: Multiple potassium nitrate seed treatments?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 11:52:58 PM »

That's a new one to me thanks, might have to try it sometime, let us know how it turns out, and any relevant information.. :)
ilex vomitoria grows all over my area. The city walking park is mostly yaupon, a cultivated weeping variety is in church yards.
...fertilized trees produce equal levels of caffeine/theobromine, while unfertilized trees produce higher levels of theobromine.

Ive noticed that even though the trees produce 1000's of berries, there are very few, if ever any, that sprout near the trees.
For example; i have watched a tree in my back yard for 10+ years waiting for a seed to sprout, i think i found one years ago.
Birds eat berries i think, so maybe seeds first need togo threw a bird, but if nothing else, i could find a treeling or fresh seed.
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return