Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Greetings from ATX  (Read 2544 times)

jbz711

• Subversive Garden Installer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +61
  • 8b/9a
Greetings from ATX
« on: November 29, 2017, 12:26:17 AM »

Not a frequent poster on sites, but couldn't help myself when I found out about this site.  I'm an avid home gardener in Austin TX and run my front yard with as many edible plants as I can, because my back yard contains our 4 voracious chickens, who eat everything that isn't tied down.  At first we were concerned with them eating plants that were poisonous, but as they have completely destroyed all ground cover it has become necessary to introduce plants that they will not mess with.  This has come to mean that every plant in my backyard must be in some way poisonous in order to make it.  I also have an affinity for hot peppers and this led me naturally to become a big fan of the Solanaceaes, with a secondary but blooming interest in Fabaceaes.
To this end, I also operate an indoor grow tent that both helps me germinate new seeds that eventually will get transported into the danger zone once they can survive a little scratching, and also grows tropical plants that I couldn't otherwise.  Currently those are a Ceylon cinnamon (cinnamomum verum), Kratom (mitragyna speciosa), Kola nut (cola acuminata), and Kava (piper methysticum), but the latter isn't doing so hot currently.  I also have a coffea indoors, and hence between it and the Kratom have an interest in growing other Rubiaceaes, which will eventually lead me to want to try my hand at Psychotria Viridis.
Current germinations include peppers from all 5 capsicum species, an acacia confusa, illinois bundleflower, reed canarygrass, wild petunia, catha edulis, and a spiky solanum I'm very excited about, Solanum Atropurpureum, of which I have extra seeds.
I'm really excited about being involved in this site and can't wait to source and be a source for others looking to maintain biodiversity in our world.
We must cultivate our garden. - Voltaire

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Trading Score: +56
  • Howdy Y'all
Re: Greetings from ATX
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 01:08:02 AM »

Welcome! I'm in DFW, but have lots of friends and family in the Austin/SA area.
Undergoing the formality of being alive.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 01:21:40 AM »

Welcome ! Glad to greet you :)

5 Capsicum species :D way to go, I hope you've come to the right place to get a grab on the other ~20 too.
Praise is mandatory.

nikshaz

• Trading Score: +151
  • This is gods work, creation..just create ethically
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 04:26:37 PM »

Welcome! Glad you joined!
We are our own creators

The man with the seeds is the man indeed

Inyan

• Trading Score: +28
  • Find what makes you happy and do it.
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 02:08:10 AM »

Having owned a great many chickens and also being a lover of the poisonous plants... you really need to invest in some dogs and let them treat the chickens as snacks if you want to allow your chickens to free range and still have a garden. Sure, the dogs may dig holes and chew the bark off your smaller trees you plant, but the chickens are much worse on the plants in my opinion. Having once lived in San Antonio, I can tell you that I've donated a great many Brugmansia to the San Antonio Botanical Garden. You might want to hit that up if those interest you.
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.