Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 2198 times)

eye of ibad

Hello everyone
« on: November 05, 2017, 02:00:38 AM »

I was made aware of this place by my friend Auxin, and I see a few other names I recognize like Inyan from my travels in the web.

A bit about me. I got a BS in horticulture science. Out of college I interned doing trials and research for one of the biggest and oldest seed companies in the world. After that I went into food crop production in a hydroponics facility. I also did exotic seed and specimen sourcing through a contract with a cosmetics company and then devised ways to culture and mass produce those plants including all types of propagation including tissue culture etc. Then I moved on to an organic farm where I grew mostly tomatoes, peppers, and tomatillos for various value added businesses. From there I started my own mushroom farm and ran that solo for about 2.5 years. Now I'm a software architect and engineer and I only do horticulture for fun!

I decided a week or two ago for my birthday that I didn't have nearly enough plants in my life, so I gifted myself some pereskiopsis cuttings and a few thousand cactus seeds of dozens of varieties. If I plant even half of these seeds I'm going to need some folks to share them with in a big hurry soon enough so this seemed like a good place to do so.

Thanks for having me and it's nice to be here.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 02:03:12 AM by eye of ibad »

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 05:15:50 PM »

Welcome ! Nice to have you here :)
Praise is mandatory.

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Trading Score: +56
  • Howdy Y'all
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 10:18:41 PM »

There’s a name I recognize! Glad you made it here. It's a great place.
Undergoing the formality of being alive.

Inyan

• Trading Score: +28
  • Find what makes you happy and do it.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 02:47:46 AM »

Your going to need more than just a few Pereskiopsis for that many seedlings. I'm looking forward to seeing your grafts though. I think its going to be cacti gone buck wild in your future.
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

eye of ibad

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 02:05:24 PM »

Yes, indeed. I bought 20 cuttings originally. All have rooted and are putting on new growth but pretty much all the original leaves have fallen off... they weren't in very good shape when they arrived. I suspect they were kept in the dark for quite some time before shipping.

Anyway, I'm thinking that I will let those 20 grow out a bit and then cut the tops off and use those tops as the first round of root stocks. Then use the original 20 as moms to keep generating new root stock 20 at a time.

Fortunately it's running rather cool in here this time of year so seedlings will grow slowly. I thought maybe I'd just keep them off of bottom heat after they germinate to keep them relatively small until I have root stocks ready for them.

I also don't have a whole lot of space for growing so I'm thinking I should set up a schedule for germinating seeds so I don't go overboard and have a bunch of seedlings with nowhere to put them.

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 07:52:51 PM »

Glad you made it aboard :)

I would stagger the seed planting. I've made the mistake before of thinking I could make them grow slowly until the grafting stock situation caught up. I was soon up to my nipples in too-large seedlings.