Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Coca type Id  (Read 5621 times)

MRTree

• Trading Score: +67
Coca type Id
« on: October 26, 2017, 04:32:23 PM »

I thought I'd compile a thread on this topic to help weed out the confusion on the cultivars that are in discussion . Here are some links I found

www.angelfire.com/planet/dbotany/differences.htm

From erowid

It has been estimated that there are over 200 Erythroxylum species growing in the Western Hemisphere. Only 17 species can be utilised for producing cocaine. Fifteen of the 17 species are not cultivated. In South America, two species and two varieties within each species are cultivated. They are:
E. Coca Species
variety coca
variety ipadu
E. Novogranatense Species
variety novogranatense
variety truxillense
These varieties are traditionally cultivated in the following areas:

Bolivia
E. Coca var. coca

Peru
E. Coca var. coca
E. Novogranatense var. truxillense
E. Coca var. ipadu

Colombia
E. Novogranatense var. novogranatense
E. Coca var. ipadu
E. Novogranatense var. truxillense

The most widely grown variety of coca is E. Coca, variety coca, which is cultivated on the eastern slopes of the Andes from Bolivia in the south to as far north as Ecuador. This area of the Andes has a tropical climate and experiences high amounts of rainfall. Coca in this region is usually grown between 1,650 and 4,950 feet in elevation. E. Novogranatense, variety novogranatense, thrives in the drier regions of Colombia and to a lesser extent Venezuela. It is also grown at lower elevations where the climate is generally hotter. The main variety of E. Novogranatense, variety truxillense, is grown up to an elevation of 4,950 feet.

The last variety, E. Coca, variety ipadu, is found in southern Colombia, northeastern Peru and western Brazil - in the Amazon basin. E. Coca, variety ipadu, is primarily cultivated by Indians. It is not an easy task, even for an expert, to readily distinguish between the different varieties of coca plants. One of the ways to identify the variety is to look at the leaves. Both varieties of E. Coca (E. Coca, variety coca and E. Coca, variety ipadu) have broadly elliptical shaped leaves. The leaf of variety ipadu has a rounded apex whereas the apex of variety coca is more pointed.

The leaf of variety coca is large, thick and dark green in colour. The leaf of E. Novogranatense, variety novogranatense is pale green with a rounded apex and is somewhat narrower and thinner than the leaf of variety ipadu and variety coca. E. Novogranatense, variety truxillense is very similar to variety novogranatenseexcept that it does not possess the lines parallel to the central vein of the leaf that are characteristic to so many varieties of coca plant.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 09:41:26 PM by BubbleCat »
what rose and iris and carnation so intensely signified was nothing more, and nothing less, than what they were, a transience that was yet eternal life, a perpetual perishing..source
of all existence

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Re: Coca type Id
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 09:42:06 PM »

I allowed myself to edit your post to comply with the rules of STS :)
Praise is mandatory.

Fugtust

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 06:54:18 AM »

I'm grateful to you.

abraxxas

• I am a new member, but I would like to give.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 12:12:33 AM »

Hello, I was passing by here with the intention of sharing some pictures of my bush, what happens is that I am from here in Colombia, and I am assailed by the doubt if the variety of coca I own is novo or eri or ipadu, there is some information How to identify by the leaves?
Amazonian medicine available to everyone

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 01:59:35 AM »

looks like novo to me, but ive only seen one coca plant in my life, and i dont think it was a ipadu, but i have no idea.

The stem is a pretty good identifier, coca is thicker, has bigger leafs in general, though i have seen compariably sized leafs on a novo. I believe the coca is also a little darker? I could be wrong on that.

And afaik ipadu is the one that clones from stem, while the other doesn't.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 02:01:03 AM by Chicsa »

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 03:36:02 AM »

That one you saw Chicsa was not ipadu. When I was in Ecuador it was said that the easiest way to ID ipadu was it's thinner habit. In other words just not as many leaves. Ipadu is the variety grown in the lowlands and is strictly a cultivar while regular coca is more of a montane species since that's where it apparently originated.
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

abraxxas

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 04:29:03 AM »

I have taken some pictures of the back and front of the leaf, other than its form of growth seems to be more shrubby, it seems that it is simply erythroxylum. The coca plants in my city are all de novo and eri crosses, can it be some hybrid?
Friends, I can ask you why you prefer erytrhroxylum novograntense.
I always prefer coca erythroxylum because it is more wild in my city
I am from the Andes mountain range, so coca grows many times wildly.

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 05:11:32 AM »

Those all look like novo with the lighter green leaves.

Abraxxas, it's not that we prefer novo, it's just that it's a lot more available here for some reason. Very few people have E. coca. 

abraxxas

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 03:01:35 PM »

I understand that de novo seeds are legal in many countries in my country they call it pa jarito, because the leaf is different from the erythroxylum coca
  Here I upload photo of a coca bush that I see every day from which I take seeds often, it is a young tree, it can be said that the irrigation of this shrub is every time it rains, droughts even with the greenest leaves.

abraxxas

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 12:58:25 AM »

Hello friends, I have given myself a delicacy today, with the pleasure of sharing with you harvest some seeds of coca already suitable for sowing, the work that awaits me will be much

I have also taken a few cuts of coca, I intend to root, I have moistened and left in rooting hormone, the stems are semi mature, they have still green branches, I have not cut the leaves, just scraped a little stems cut h at 45 ° and left in coconut peat (high humidity retention)
I have two types of coca of several plants, I suspect that one is coca erythroxylum. and another novo

I have left them in a moisture trap along with the salvia divinorum.

I would like to be able to do some exchanges with active members, also share the seeds. but I'm still very new to start my private messaging activity.

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 03:00:54 AM »

Thanks for those pictures! I'm sure you won't have any problem setting up trades with people here. Keep posting and I'm sure you will get PM privileges very soon.

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 01:00:37 PM »

Awesome, abraxass! You have full forum privledges (I bet Chicsa saw and promoted you), so feel free to jump in with trades as you like. :-)

abraxxas

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 12:35:41 AM »

I have spoken with a friend of years ago, with whom I started my hobby of ethnobotany, his name is not very well known (kurihuaji ethnobotanicos) christian d'kurihuaji told me that strangely the cocas that I have are hybrid.
In his words he said:
hi look at the little bird is novogranatense
but the strange thing is that the de novo, is the only one that is not repoduced by cutting
the ipadu (Peruvian) and the var coca
the Bolivian
if they are left to be skeletonized
but the true novogranatense, no, and that
they also call him tingo or birdie
] and is small rounded leaf and not lanceolate
of which you have there is none is tingo
Brother, most likely what you have there is hybrids.

then, we probably have a hybrid. leaving aside the sociocultural context of coca, in my city there were ancestral crops but without narcos, simply indigenous trubus who inhabited the sector left trees scattered
so I've decided to take cuttings and left in moisture trap along with sage and chagropanga
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 01:59:51 AM by BubbleCat »

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 01:58:47 AM »

Nice information there abraxxas.
I took the liberty to modify your last post, there is a few things we don't like mentioned here, like some kind of people using specific plants to do things which are not to be discussed on STS. If you have not yet done so, feel free to read the STS FAQ thread on subjects that can not be discussed here.
Praise is mandatory.