Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Open pollinated seeds.  (Read 4066 times)

PinkTarantula

Open pollinated seeds.
« on: September 10, 2017, 06:18:25 PM »

I've seen a few sites where Trichocereus hybrid seeds can be bought that typically offer "Open Pollinated" seeds. First off, am I correct in my assumption that this is just a plant that flowered and was left alone amidst the rest of the cacti and was left to nature? Second, these seeds always seem to be cheaper, are they considered less desirable? If so why? I guess since you don't know what you're getting? Is germination an issue?   :o

Inyan

• Trading Score: +28
  • Find what makes you happy and do it.
Re: Open pollinated seeds.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 07:58:17 PM »

Open pollinated simply means you know 1/2 the genetics... the mom, but you have no clue as to what pollinated her. So, yeah... if you are getting open pollinated Trichocereus pachanoi and an Echinopsis was flowering at the same time you might have a hybrid T x E for example. Or, your pollinator might have visited several different species if they were all blooming at the same time and you might have many different baby daddies all in one seed pod so you never know for sure what your going to get with an open pollinated plant. That is especially true when you have many closely related or compatible plants planted nearby. If knowing what you are getting is something you like to know... then you don't want open pollinated seed typically. If on the other hand you like to gamble or play the lotto... open pollinated seed might be exactly what you wanted. You might even end up with something more desirable than any listed known hybrid with an open pollinated pod. You just never know and that is some of the appeal to many. Personally, I would suggest that if you know what traits you are after you look for a hybrid that attempts to combine plants that contain traits that you would personally like to see mixed. This way, even if you don't get lucky you know the parents and you can do a sibling cross and or backcross to one or both parents to try and get the traits you were after. With an unknown cross, you can do a sibling cross, but even then the siblings might only be half-siblings so the only surefire you would have in a case like that is to cross back to the one known mom if you were looking for mothers traits. Have I confused you enough yet?
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

PinkTarantula

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 08:52:07 PM »

:-X

Inyan

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 02:23:56 AM »

I thought as much. Bottom line, buy what you want because even those things you think you want sometimes give us unexpected results. Most importantly, when it comes to Trichocereus hybrids... learn how to graft seedlings asap if you don't already know how. Grafting is child's play and will save some of your more interesting seedlings from going to the great beyond.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 02:24:27 AM by Inyan »

PinkTarantula

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 11:07:08 PM »

I get the gist of it. I reckon I should get some grafting stock going soonish. Any good options for it beside pereskiopsis?

spaceman101

• Trading Score: +5
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 10:18:20 PM »

@Pinktarantula  Other than Peres any fast growing colomnure cacti would work fine. Pilocereus is a good call in the U.S. because you can pick them up at any Bigbox store in summer, Blue Myrtle is a good one too ;)

Inyan

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 01:01:55 PM »

My favorite grafting stock after Pereskiopsis is Trichocereus pachanoi. However, I'd be willing to bet open pollinated T. pachanoi would work wonders as grafting stock as well. You could always get a batch of inexpensive open pollinated seeds and use them as grafting stock. Everyone has their preference though. For many, Opuntia grows wild and they simply use that. I know there is plenty of wild Opuntia across most of the United States of America right on into some parts of Canada. This is the range of just one Opuntia species... https://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=ophu
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 01:40:01 PM by Inyan »

spaceman101

• Trading Score: +5
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 08:41:43 PM »

^^^ What he said :)

Pach PC if you can find it for sale is a great stock or even just take a couple years to grow out some open pollenated seeds to up on some good Grafting stock. You really just can't go wrong.