Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Is this tabernaemontana undulata?  (Read 3060 times)

Manigordo

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +45
Is this tabernaemontana undulata?
« on: September 10, 2017, 06:01:37 PM »

Hi guys,

I haven't been visiting this forum in a while, but got very curious since I may have found a a gem. This pics have been taken in Costa Rica at 5000 ft elevation. I am not sure, so maybe someone with better botanical knowledge can help to identify. I have access to this tree at any time and can harvest. Here is what I know:

This is a small tree, 10m tall and at least 30 years old. Branches and leaves have lots of white sap. A neighbor told me the sap is "dangerous".
Flowers are white, though the tree has no flowers now.
Seeds are orange or brown colored and birds do love the seeds. Right now the tree has lots of unripe seed pods and they should be ripe in some months.

I am happy to provide more pics and details if that helps to identify.

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
Re: Is this tabernaemontana undulata?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 03:27:18 AM »

The fruits don't look quite right for T. undulata if i recall correctly. I think you got the genus right though.

Good to see you around!
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

Manigordo

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +45
Re: Is this tabernaemontana undulata?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 11:58:56 AM »

Hey Bach, a pleasure talking to you again!
I did some research on the internet after my original enthusiasm had come down a bit and think you are right.
Undulata seems to be more of a lowland species as far as I could find out. This may be T. longipes or amygdalifolia. I'll wait for flowers and the seed pods to ripen to see how they look like. The entire genus has interesting alkaloids.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 01:09:27 PM by Manigordo »