Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: sage cuttings  (Read 3117 times)

phytochemist

sage cuttings
« on: July 18, 2017, 05:48:51 AM »

I have a few species of salvia I'd like to make more cuttings off. Any tips for this?

limelight and pineapple sage specifically.

Dexter123

Re: sage cuttings
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 03:05:50 PM »

i do most of my mint family cuttings the same way. take a nice looking growing tip, stripping the bottom pair of leaves and leaving a nice pair up top. bury it up past that stripped leave node in a light soil that is kept fairly moist and out of direct sunlight, even light shade will work. when  i see new growth, then treat like regular transplant, AKA slowly expose to greater amounts of sun and reduce watering frequency.

The greater majority of cuttings will live, occasionally, one wont root out correctly, or will die of some other cause before rooting, definately keep out of sunlight and dont let it dry out until you see new growth up top, that is an indication that it has a root sysytem.

I have used rooting hormone in the past, but generally any mint family plant will root super easy without it.

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 06:30:19 PM »

^That is the same method i use when salvia stems start to rot in the water, it saves them almost every time.

you can root in water,
cut stem under a node,
strip the bottom leaves,
place in a cup of water,
leave it in part shade..
wait for root growth.
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

phytochemist

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 01:00:25 AM »

Thanks a lot for the replies. Will give a try.

Inyan

• Trading Score: +28
  • Find what makes you happy and do it.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 04:45:21 PM »

I have a few species of salvia I'd like to make more cuttings off. Any tips for this?

limelight and pineapple sage specifically.

I've propagated pineapple sage simply by taking a few cuttings and stripping them of most their leaves and sticking in moist soil. In other words, Dexter is right on the money on this one. I haven't propagated limelight as far as my memory will go back... but I can't imagine it being any more difficult. Definitely give it a shot as per Dexter's recommendation.
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.