Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Starting nursery, woodrosegrove, tips appreciated :)  (Read 132 times)

ONandONandON

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +40
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
Starting nursery, woodrosegrove, tips appreciated :)
« on: August 06, 2017, 11:50:06 pm »

So this got put on hold for a couple of years with my leagal problems. :'( but just about to get started again..
Have the power on, and moving in soon.. Plan to have a store to sell plants, and possibly food, and crafts.
It's a great location. Would be cool to have a local flea market or farmers market any advice on that?
Going to be a LOT of work getting the place ready to open, and ready for winter, with basically no cash..
Making website to sell online, but it's not ready yet, was thinking of letting others post their plants for sale.
it's a free weebly website, so idk if it's allowed to post prices; i just have a link to an email for plants available.
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

Dexter123

Re: Starting nursery, woodrosegrove, tips appreciated :)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 10:37:10 pm »

You may need to get a retailers permit from your state in order to sell anything legally.

I like the idea of running a farmers market.... except for when you talk to market masters, it seems like it can be incredibly frustrating dealing with vendors and keeping things organized, so i personally wouldn't try to do both at the same time.

If you really want to get into it, I very much suggest talking to someone who is running a farmers market already, a lot of times it is one person, but then he has volunteers who help out. The one i am thinking of that is a solo show,only has one person doing all of it, is very disorganized and difficult to communicate with.

for online sales, you will need to make sure that the plants you are selling into other states aren't restricted or invasive species.

definitely love the entrepreneurship, Good luck!

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:37:37 pm by Dexter123 »

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +35
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 03:51:02 am »

From a strictly economic perspective, get in (or better start your own) CSA, its like a book of the month club for veggies and I have seen these really carry the overhead and more for local hobby farms in my area.

-Ian

ONandONandON

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +40
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 02:55:03 am »

Thanks for the information! i'll get permits if/when the store opens. i still haven't moved in..
builders are taking forever to finish a room.. iam ready to move in and say forget the room!
CSA sounds interesting, ive never heard of it but there is one in my city apparently, thanks..
i mostly grow medicinals though, not so many vegetables, except maybe rare 'super=foods'
i'll post photos eventually, and here is my website... Still in the early development stage..

http://woodrosegrove.weebly.com/

i wish i had some help with everything.. there is something called WWOOF http://wwoof.net/
people live on your farm in exchange for helping out.. idk anyone have WWOOF experience ?
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return