Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: I have just gained a dying Viridis... HELP  (Read 2513 times)

Lupis Arante

I have just gained a dying Viridis... HELP
« on: July 12, 2017, 08:32:03 AM »

Hello Everyone,

A friend of mine had a Viridis that he said started to die over winter. He put her in full sun which killed off all her leaves.

He was going to throw the plant out when I said I would take over and see if I could get her back to health.

Since taking over, I have: Trimmed all dead material, repotted in a rich loamy soil, placed in a greenhouse that has full shade, she gets sprayed 4 times a day and watered when the soil feels dryish. I fed her some seaweed solutions to try and minimise the stress of repotting. When I did repot her, I noticed her root system was tiny and light brown compared to the dark soil she was in.

It's now been four days since she was repotted and I have noticed that one of her branches is starting to die. Is there anything more I can do? Is she too far gone?

Thanks in advance for all advice.

P.S I can seem to upload a picture, so here is a picture of her: http://imgur.com/u1cvVlc
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 08:41:41 AM by Lupis Arante »

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
Re: I have just gained a dying Viridis... HELP
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 08:43:07 PM »

Stop watering for a while, that's a huge pot for all the bigger the plant is. The roots will end up starving for oxygen, believe it or not and kill it off the rest of the way. That said, don't repot now either. It's been through enough. maybe poke some holes down into the soil with a pencil to allow O2 to penetrate the soil .

As long as it's warm, shady and humid it should make it, but viridis is notoriously slow to rebound from such a stressful series of events.

If you need a replacement, there are members here that can no doubt help you out.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 08:43:47 PM by Bach »
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

Lupis Arante

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 01:44:20 PM »

Okay, I have poked holes throughout the soil, I have also stopped watering. I hope it picks up health quick. How cold does it have to be before the plant will start to die? Right now, the coldest it gets in that greenhouse is about 18 degrees Celsius.

Lupis Arante

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 02:03:01 PM »

Forget that question, I am an idiot who didn't look at the forum ahead of my question. Thank you very much for your advice!

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 02:50:35 PM »

Don't give up on it. I've had a few viridis come back from that state with time.