Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: HELP...Myrtillo Acting Weird  (Read 2337 times)

cactusjames

HELP...Myrtillo Acting Weird
« on: July 04, 2017, 05:07:38 AM »

Hey everyone...
I purchased this beautiful Myrtillo geometrizans(it was un-labeled but given certain characteristics I assumed it was just an odd geometrizans) a few weeks ago and I thought it was extremely unique and unusual....a great addition to my collection.
Over the past couple of weeks it has slowly become more skinny... On the old growth not new.  Basically the 4 ribs it has have become MUCH more pronounced because the cactus appears to be slowly losing volume.... even though I water it when the soil is dry(~every week or so in 98 degree weather).

Can someone please help me figure out what could possibly be happening to my cactus as I've tried to increase watering, less watering, and change in lighting(it's kept out in my backyard getting full sun at least a few hours out of the day just like most of my other cacti).
Also.... Any ideas on what EXACT type of cactus this is or what kind of geometrizans it is would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Pics ...

1. The first 3 pics show the cactus right after I bought it. Including a closeup of the spines for ID.
2. The last two pics show how it has changed in the past few weeks.  I took those photos this evening when I noticed how it STILL was getting even worse.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 05:12:32 AM by cactusjames »

cactusjames

Re: HELP...Myrtillo Acting Weird
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 12:38:26 AM »

...so I'm guessing no one has any experience with this particular problem? And no one has seen a geometrizans that looks like this?

modern

• Trading Score: +199
Re: HELP...Myrtillo Acting Weird
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 02:30:00 AM »

I don't see it a real issue. Looks like some minor corking around the spines but nothing that will cause issues had it on mine as well.
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...