Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bugs on my chacruna  (Read 5263 times)

LordCheech

Bugs on my chacruna
« on: June 22, 2017, 06:39:32 PM »

Last year ants ate damn near the whole thing. This year they aren't eating much of it (so far). They are actually gone for now but a few couple months back they were all over it though they weren't acting they they normally do. You know, constantly walking all over the place collecting food.

They were just kinda standing on the plant. It was pretty much covered with them. After they left there were these black shells on it. They are all over the plant. Haven't seen the ants in over a month but these things are still there. The plant seems to be doing fine but these things worry me.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:11:28 PM by LordCheech »

LordCheech

Re: Bugs on my chacruna
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 06:40:34 PM »

Yeah sorry I was in a hurry and didn't see the Plant Pests & Infections

I vote to have it moved!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 06:47:09 PM by LordCheech »

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 03:33:34 AM »

You have a scale infestation. Those ones rub off by hand pretty easily or a strong spray from the hose will knock them off

Also, it's a chacrunilla you've got there, Psychotria alba, not chacruna.
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

arborescent

• Trading Score: +33
  • phytognostic
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 03:49:08 AM »

My chacruna had a pretty bad scale infection all winter. Once I brought it outside, the plant started looking a lot better and the scale became more vulnerable, so I've pretty much removed all of them by hand. There's still a lot of brown marks on the stem from it where the scale was.

But even still there's ants visiting the plants constantly, seemingly looking for the scale, trying to farm them. But I haven't really seen any living specimens on the plant. It's odd.

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 04:45:49 PM »

Psychotrias seem pretty tolerant to scale. Some of the local species can be loaded with them and they just keep growing.

Interestingly the scale seem to recognize P. viridis and alba as food sources but they won't touch the ibos or sananhos growing right beside. Different botanical family.

Also I never see anything, ever on my caapis. Nearly twenty years here and nary a bite out of a leaf; no aphids, no mealies no scale no nothin.' The plant knows how to take care of itself.

arborescent

• Trading Score: +33
  • phytognostic
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 06:50:38 PM »

Not to mention caapis like to share food with ants with their extrafloral nectaries, enlisting the ants as workers.

Caapi has a special ecological intelligence most certainly

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 03:00:10 AM »

When I first got my caapis back in the '90s the extrafloral nectaries were quite prominent and noticeable. Over the years though they have become practically non-existent and the local ants seem not to have taken up the torch.

LordCheech

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 07:44:17 PM »

Chacrunilla?  How can you be sure? Not that I'm doubting you but that way I can bring it up with the  guy at the nursery where I got it.

My friend told me I could put some tape around the stalk and some grease on it so the ants don't get on there. I'm worried about the grease washing off so I'm thinking on a lid around the bottom might do the trick.

chronic

• Trading Score: +97
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 08:57:03 PM »

Yes this is Psychotria alba.
You can see it on the leaf that it is Psychotria alba. In the case of viridis, the leaf sits directly on the branch, in the case of alba there is on the leaf a small stem with which it hangs on the branch. And the leaves on the pictures are wavy. Both characteristics demonstrate are this is alba.

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 06:21:01 AM »

Yup I'm sure. I've been growing both for over twenty years. What chronic says is accurate, but in addition the berry cluster is classic alba. Search around here on STS. If I'm not mistaken there are pics of viridis fruiting on this site that will clear things up for you. If not here then a quick internet search should bear fruit (if you'll pardon the pun.)

Another way to tell is to chew a leaf. If it's bitter it's alba. If it's holy cow burning the inside of your mouth so bad you have to spit it out, it's viridis. Alba is mildly unpleasant, viridis tastes truly vile.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 06:27:25 AM by Bach »

chronic

• Trading Score: +97
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 02:03:59 PM »

Thanks Bach. That with the taste is a very good information.

Coastghost

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 12:53:20 AM »

List the plant with water then dusted heavily with cayenne pepper that's what I do to my plants and it takes care of it

Coastghost

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 01:02:03 AM »

Sorry I meant to say most the planet with water then Dust with cayenne pepper that takes care of all my bug problems I used to have those little green worms that eat my grape vine leaves I put cayenne pepper on it and they went away

Stonehenge

• Trading Score: +53
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 03:17:43 AM »

Speaking of caapi, same experience here, the bugs more or less leave it alone. Never had a major bug problem and there are always ants on it. Now and then I see where the giant grasshoppers chewed on it but they don't do much. No scale, no aphids, nothing. It has taken over my back yard.

My viridis survives, dies back a bit now and then but survives. My alba grows like hell, wouldn't you know it? Tons of berries every year but haven't gotten a berry for a while on the pv.

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 03:39:05 AM »

You have your viridis in the ground or in pots Stoney?  Mine just keep getting bigger every year and make tons of seed too. Mine are in pots in case I have to protect them in the winter and they get lots of worm castings and Osmocote in the springtime to last them the whole year.
Pages: [1] 2