Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Anybody using Bacillus thuringiensis that they know of  (Read 5859 times)

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
Anybody using Bacillus thuringiensis that they know of
« on: June 17, 2017, 07:15:16 AM »

Bacillus Thuringiensis can be very effective in controlling mosquito larvae and most leaf eating caterpillars such as:

Diamondback moth caterpillars
    Grapeleaf skeletonize
    Salt marsh caterpillars
    Green Cloverworms
    Tomato fruit worms
    Tomato hornworms
    Grape leaf rollers
    Cabbage worms
    Corn earworms
    Melon worms
    Army worms
    Pickleworms
    Webworms
    Budworms

A naturally occurring bacteria found in soil: different strains are good for different bugs..
there is some genetic modified versions, and plants with the bacteria DNA for pesticide.
i was just wondering if a "soil tea" spray might work for leaf eaters.. future experiment.

https://plantcaretoday.com/bacillus-thuringiensis.html
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
Re: Anybody using Bacillus thuringiensis that they know of
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 07:38:56 AM »

i use it on my cherrys and apples every year to control tent caterpillars,   and as long as it does not wash off it is rather effective as a pretreatment .   Right now im also putting it on my peppers and tomato's for unknown leaf eating bugs

Bacillus thuringiensis var israelensis, also works great at controlling fungi-knats in seed trays and potted plants.
 I use mosquito dunks ground up into powder as its about the cheapest way to apply it.   

My county also gives a BT concentrate out for free to control mosquito's in swampy area's sine all the 'zika' concerns
III%

Darwins Farm

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +16
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 05:15:48 PM »

Bacillus Thuringiensis can be very effective in controlling mosquito larvae and most leaf eating caterpillars such as:

Diamondback moth caterpillars
    Grapeleaf skeletonize
    Salt marsh caterpillars
    Green Cloverworms
    Tomato fruit worms
    Tomato hornworms
    Grape leaf rollers
    Cabbage worms
    Corn earworms
    Melon worms
    Army worms
    Pickleworms
    Webworms
    Budworms

A naturally occurring bacteria found in soil: different strains are good for different bugs..
there is some genetic modified versions, and plants with the bacteria DNA for pesticide.
i was just wondering if a "soil tea" spray might work for leaf eaters.. future experiment.

https://plantcaretoday.com/bacillus-thuringiensis.html

What you want for caterpillars is BT sub Kurstaki. Not BT sub Israelensis, which is the mosquito control used in mosquito dunks and bits. Israelensis is a bio larvicide. Kurstaki is a bio thuricide.

First step is to go to the plants you are having trouble with. Go in mourning and late night. They come out at different times so you will need to check at different times of day. Manually remove the caterpillars and such that are eating up your plants. That will have a surprisingly large impact. If you still have trouble after that, use BT subspecies Kurstaki.

A tea made from BT Israelensis will not work.

I know this doesn't exactly answer your question. Possibly all I posted above is info you already know. Hopefully something there is of use to you.

What is a soil tea?

I like Dipel Dust for use as a thuricide. You can spread the powder on the soil surface to control those who reside in soil then come out to eat foliage. You can also mix the powder with water to make a spray to be applied to foliage. Also, it is cheap.

Storage is important with BT. Do not store in a warm garage or the like. If your container reaches 110F+ the spores are impacted negatively. Store inside. If possible in cool and dark place.

I have a zero pesticide rule on my entheogenic and at my house in general. I have lots of pollinators attracting plants that I do not want killed in crossfire. So manual removal is my method. At my place of work I use Dipel Dust often. I also recommend it to customers often.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 05:24:59 PM by Darwins Farm »

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 09:09:18 PM »

Thanks :) i had just read about it and thought it was interesting.. even more so if i could grow and use my own..
This type of bacteria is always present in soil.

'soil tea' would just be water mixed with soil, and strained threw a cloth... maybe interesting results who knows.

Surely, it"s possible to grow an endless supply from the mosquito dunks or other products in the right conditions.

Though i usually just let the caterpillars live if it's something like lettuce who cares, i'd rather grow the butterflies.
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return