Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Should I be worried- Cactus Question  (Read 2707 times)

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
Should I be worried- Cactus Question
« on: May 27, 2017, 03:54:52 PM »

Hey all,

One of my bridgesii has some dark spots on a calloused cut. I cut the tip because it had some suspicious dark spots. It's not soft on the callous or below, but i would hate to lose the whole plant.

Should I leave it alone, or remove the rest of this pup?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 03:56:11 PM by Frog Pajamas »

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Trading Score: +56
  • Howdy Y'all
Re: Should I be worried- Cactus Question
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 04:36:14 PM »

Since the rest of the column looks fine, I'd say your probably OK. I've that on a lot of cuttings. As long as it gets plenty of sun and not too much rain it'll be fine.

Having said that, a little dose of daconil won't hurt. I had major trouble with rot last year after a very rainy spring. I wasn't too worried because everyone always says "it'll be fine". I ended up last year losing a significant portion of my collection. When I started to see rot this spring, I hit everything with daconil a couple of times. Looking much better now.
Undergoing the formality of being alive.

cactusjames

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 11:45:39 PM »

If I were you I would slice a half inch section off of the blackened bridgesii BC it looks like you'll have plenty plant leftover 
If the cactus still looks black on the newly exposed section then remove the pup...it must have rot or something.
But if you slice a half inch off and you just see green and white flesh...you should be fine. Just make sure to let it callous over before exposing it to the elements.

GOOD LUCK!!

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 12:40:01 AM »

Hey Garbanzo! Where you bean?   ;D

It looks like a good callous that got got some surface mold. If that's the case I'm with psylocke; just let it be. Perhaps bring it inside for a bit to really dry out.  Unless it's mushy I wouldn't cut it because then it has to callous all over again and if it's as wet there as it is here you'll end up bringing it in anyway.

It looks nasty but it's probably just superficial and rarely progresses.  If you were to cut a cross-section of that callous you'd most likely see see that the mold is growing on the callous itself and not into the healthy tissue underneath.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 12:51:42 AM by Bach »
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.