Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Nelumbo nuciferia  (Read 2735 times)

rakeandbake

• TF Mod
  • Trading Score: +181
  • In the moment.....
Nelumbo nuciferia
« on: April 26, 2017, 04:14:21 AM »

I bought some tanks to grow Nelumbo and Nymphaea in. I just scarified the Nelumbo and figured i would share the process so others can follow. These seeds hold the record for longest surviving embryo at like 1300 years if I remember correctly. The seeds must be scarified for the seed to accept water or oxygen. I think a drill is almost a requirement as sandpaper would take forever and the coat is to smooth to cut with something sharp. First picture is of the seed before I started. Second picture shows the tools I used.  And the last two pictures show the layers you must grind through. You must carefully grind through two layers but not the third. The third layer is a beige or lite brown color. Stop here. The seed is still protected from invaders by this final coat. But air and water are now able to slowly permiate through the layer. Place it in some water for a few days and you should start seeing some green emerge. Weird fact: the roots are the last thing to emerge from this seed. Now you want to change the water as often as you can but every two days should do it(i do mine daily). The frequency is determine by the amount of volume you place them in. If the water is not changed often enough the seed will slime up and bad things happen quick. I am by no means an expert but wanted to share the basics that i have learned about preping the seed. If anyone has any pointers on actually growing them, especially indoors, please share. I failed last time once they got about a foot high. My equipment has improved and i expect better luck this time. Hopefully my next post will be updated pictures of their healthy growth!
Everyone carries a piece of the puzzle. Nobody comes into your life by mere coincidence. Trust your instincts. Do the unexpected. Find the others.
~Timothy Leary~

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Trading Score: +134
  • Fungophile
Re: Nelumbo nuciferia
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 02:29:37 PM »

Im following with great anticipation. This is one of my new favorites. Someone here was kind enough to send me a tuber. Now i just have to find another set of genetics, as they do not self pollinate. My last attempt, trying to grow them in a fish tank, was a dumb idea. I dont think the leaves will open or root will set until the seed is well solidified in substrate and the shoot reaches above the water line. Mine ended up floating until taken by bacteria. Need to keep water fresh to avoid rot.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 02:33:56 PM by FewTrueSeed »
Never portray yourself to betray yourself, there is no I in self.

https://mycotek.org/index.php?members/fewtrueseed.1965/

dolphingunblade

Re: Nelumbo nuciferia
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 04:49:09 AM »

I've been meaning to grow the blue version, but have been sitting on the fence when it comes to actually getting the seeds.  My plan was to research the type of soil I should use and then add it to a container filled with used fish water to try get everything conditioned with microflora/fauna, then use the soil in a small container to get the germinated seed into, and just change the container each time the plant gets big enough until it eventually reaches the size I want to put in the artificial pond. I recently read an article that showed it growing in a pot someone put in a metal trashcan in the garden, I assume it would also grow fine in a 5-gallon bucket.