Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: I have to give a speech, please tell me what you would like to hear  (Read 4037 times)

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......

Not a social dude, not at all confident in groups, or in anyway social IRL.
Trying to change that a little tiny bit..

Been asked to be a speaker at a meeting for a couple revegetation groups and due to my newly found "confident and outgoing personality", I said "YES, I'd love to"...

Some members are traveling a long way to be there and its a well paid gig.(did not know that when I agreed)
These are all folks that know the basics, having been doing this stuff for years if not decades, all running small commercial reveg nurseries.

Suggested topic is "Plant propagation and commercial online sales".

Gotta talk about germination, greenhouse management, and online sales/social media/basic "how to start a business" stuff.
3x 30-45mins.
Question and answer in between each talk.

Got an experiment on germination using GA3 and Smoked vermiculite in different species and concentrations.
I can talk about social media and very basic website SEO stuff for a while as it is all super new to them, and the basics take a while to learn.
But yeah, need to fill the gaps.

I have 3weeks left before the talk so any experiments need to be started today.

If you were going to see some dude talk about plant propagation and commercial plant sales, what would you want to see?

Are there any other chemicals you can suggest I do experiments with now to show differences in germination rates?

Seen anything cool I should discuss?

Any tips or tricks you have learnt that could be relevant?

Any help or advice?

Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

MRTree

• Trading Score: +67
Re: I have to give a speech, please tell me what you would like to hear
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 03:55:57 AM »

How about native and/or mixed genetic species lacking in commercial/online sales vs. standardized sigularity clone type Saturation and the effects on biodiversity? As it seems that with commercial species.....just look at any outdoor do it yourself home center or wam mart, all the commercial species are clones.....vs say if I wanted a true American holly to purchase, one that has genetic s passed down for hundreds of years, that supports my native wildlife and harvesting offspring from those like that that have individual genetic makeup vs the same genetic oak that everyone grows because they are all from the same stock , interbreeding in cities say on the overall biodiversity against time and pest disease resistance, food host sourcing for wildlife, you could speak quite a bit on the issue since most commercial tree and shrub providers online and stock nurseries buy usually from cloned farming practices ....at least on some national chain scales . You could argued pro or con depending on your audience. 
what rose and iris and carnation so intensely signified was nothing more, and nothing less, than what they were, a transience that was yet eternal life, a perpetual perishing..source
of all existence

MRTree

• Trading Score: +67
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 04:03:31 AM »

You could tweak this some to argue financial points on seeds to stock prop vs clone to stock and costs, with enough research maybe you don't have to run any experiments at all
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 11:17:11 PM by MRTree »
what rose and iris and carnation so intensely signified was nothing more, and nothing less, than what they were, a transience that was yet eternal life, a perpetual perishing..source
of all existence

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 04:30:33 AM »

Some chemical experments

Phenibut
GBL
III%

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 08:02:49 AM »

1) Proper techniques for shipping varying forms of living plant material (e.g. entire plants, rooted cuttings, seeds of different families, cuttings, conditions dictating how long they stay alive in bag whilst avoiding possibility of infection via eco-friendly agents) accross OZ and internationally as well. I'd imagine that, given your business ventures, such a good idea to discuss is how to ensure viability of plants during long periods of transit without dying or infection. Issues such as callousing, securing plant matter against banging around on an assembly line, and how to properly and safely send seeds, cuttings and plants to people around the world, so as to ensure quick delivery time, low-profile appearance, and customer satisfaction from living plant transactions.

2) I think that the structure through which STS operates would be a good business model for administrative purposes.

3) The Effect of Drug-Metabolite enriched urine on Cacti may be a good aside if you need to buy time. Could be an important discussion regarding nutrient levels in urine, and how change in soil can impact growth of plants; would it be possible to dilute employee urine samples in order to make a more effective growing medium for various plants?

SOme threads on our forum contain information you will find no where else for many plants's germination (Kratom from seed, khat from cutting/seed, P. V. from seed, S. Divinorum from seed, Roze's thread announcing that I had been the first one to find them viable Yerba Mate seed, just to name a few.) I'd imagine you could get a good few hours discussing our fun and spunky research threads into the study of exotic plant cultivation and germination/propagation to be of interest to your audience.

Of course, I'm not sure as to what extent you'd be comfortable with sharing STS as a source for lecture material, so I'll leave that call up to you.

Just suggesting,
Mangrove
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 08:06:35 AM »

Given the viability, quasi-endangered status, and relatively fast time to grow-out from A. Simplex seed. I'd like to see how different growing mediums (e.g. vermiculite and GA3 concentrations) may effect germination rate of said species.

It's a flick and a fluke of an experiment, but it's 50 minutes of easy talking time.
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 08:08:25 AM »

Some chemical experments

Phenibut
GBL

Adding in GBL to your experiments sounds fun, too  8)

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 09:19:35 AM »

I should clarify I guess.
The audience is very much a different audience to here, but we all garden, have a passion for the environment.
Hearts and minds, all that jazz.

For convenience I will generalize that the average dude is>>>
Only interested in growing native species local to their area(and making all other non-indigenous species that are not already major food crops, illegal).
They find the internet scary.
Drugs of any kind are the devils work.
Also older for the most part...

I showed a few my body cloner/bubble buckets and urged them to use on some rare endangered species just to boost up numbers until sexual reproduction was viable again.
Few species here that there are only  10-100's of plants known of, and air layering is a long timeline, and a pretty low success rate.
Logically, this makes much more sense.
Blew a few minds rooting some native psychotria leaves, and great germination's on a few hard to grow species, so that's kinda why I was asked to talk.

That and some nurseries are looking into online sales and social media to boost awareness of environmental causes, something I am happy to help with.
But yeah, gardening is gardening, and everything is applicable in one way or another.

Anyone ever used salts, chemicals, or halopriming to enhance germination rates?

Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 12:19:32 PM »

Maybe a bit of info on how air layering is in every way superior to the standard cut and root system now used in commercial ag. Less stress on the cutting and parent ;a bit on how the strike rate is far higher and how much space and energy is saved by not using prop beds, the reduction in hardening off times normally associated with cloning. Air layered plants can stay on the plant until it is time to ship (for the online retailers), saving space and resources.

nobody
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

misplant

• Trading Score: +81
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 04:35:07 AM »

bring along a couple boxes of fresh made donuts

people will always forget what you say but will always remember how you made them feel.....
www.misplant.net

Life is short, Eat Dessert First