Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Earth Sheltered Greenhouses  (Read 3635 times)

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
Earth Sheltered Greenhouses
« on: June 14, 2019, 09:16:12 PM »

Hello all,

So, I'm starting to play with ideas for greenhouses, and the one and only Bach suggested an earth sheltered one because I have a relatively steep south facing hill behind my house that would work well. Does anyone have any experience creating one or any resources? We'll probably do a traditional hoop house too, but it makes sense to utilize the best features of the property.

TIA!

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
Re: Earth Sheltered Greenhouses
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 04:09:08 AM »

A good source for greenhouse supplies and building materials is  www.growerssupply.com

I'll scout around for design ideas. As steep as that hill is I'm thinking you might want some kind of reinforcement on the back wall depending on how deep you dig it in.

For a hoop house you can use steel rebar inside pvc tubing for the hoops and pressure treated lumber for the framing. 2x12s rated for ground contact can be used around the perimeter and to make raised beds inside the gh. All standard big box store items except for the sheeting. You'll want to get five year rated greenhouse sheeting for sure.  I have some old plans from Of the Jungle around here somewhere I could copy for you if interested. I built one back in the day and it served me very well. It cost me about $800, but that was in CA over 20 years ago. Dunno what it might run today. You'll be amazed what a GH will allow you to do, even if unheated.

A hoop house would make an excellent first project so you can get some experience with a greenhouse before commiting to the more permanent earth sheltered one.

The One.

The Only.

;)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 05:44:38 AM by Bach »
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 05:41:35 AM »

Depending on how much of a project you are looking for. Something like this should convert to a greenhouse rather easily and not cost too much;

https://earthbagplans.wordpress.com/2010/12/05/spiral-2-earthbag-house/

nobody :)
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

Toxicodendron

• Trading Score: +88
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 11:15:53 PM »

I don’t have experience with it yet, but coincidentally I am planning on doing a couple of earth sheltered structures at my place.

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 12:42:46 PM »

Would you be open to trading notes? I'd love to see what you do to get a better idea for here. This is definitely a next year at the earliest project for us. :-)

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 12:53:11 PM »

Thanks, nobody.

And Bach, I'd take you up on those plans from OTJ. I know there are plans floating around for hoop houses, but plans that worked well for you would be fantastic.

Looking forward to seeing ya'll again. The place has come a long way (translate as J & D can't seem to go anywhere without picking up new plants to add. :-) )

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 03:32:56 AM »

OK I'll dig it out and send you a photocopy.  :)
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

Shamichael

• Trading Score: +50
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 03:12:42 PM »

I am on the north side of a hill but I too have been looking at doing this.  I have been reading about it and have found many very informative YouTube videos on it.  For me being north of you guys I have been thinking about adding huge water filled totes underneath the ground with a small pump system that will circulate to a homemade solar warmer and perhaps later a cob stove. 
I am in zone 6 and it would be my dream to have a greenhouse all year.
I will look for some informative videos and post them here.

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 08:56:13 PM »

I have always been interested in the walipini style greenhouse.

This web sight is a good primer with additional resources linked.
https://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/essential-tips-for-building-a-durable-walipini-greenhouse-zbcz1706

If you are interested we could do a volunteer labor project, id be willing to lend a hand/shovel.

-Ian