Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Emerald Ash Borers...  (Read 4073 times)

GrowerAndaShower

• Trading Score: +31
Emerald Ash Borers...
« on: February 23, 2017, 09:36:50 PM »

So, my parents just purchased a wooded lot of land. The plan is to create a family homestead(My sisters are purchasing parts of the land to put their own homes on). My mother mentioned to me this morning that we apparently have EABs in some of the trees. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? we've been told the only solution is to cut down the affected trees, but obviously we'd rather avoid that. I'm also concerned that the larva will finish development in the cut down trees and move on to other trees on the property...

Short of cutting them down(which is the unfortunate current plan), what can we do to get rid of them and protect the rest of our trees, without poisoning the land/groundwater which we plan on growing food/medicine on?
Back with a vengeance! And TITS!

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
Re: Emerald Ash Borers...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 01:51:09 AM »

That's pretty cool good luck with the land ;D
 sSo i work at a sawmill and we get those sometimes it's creepy to hear them crunching... .(those are pine beatles)
alternative to cutting/burning it down, you can spray with common insecticide used for tree beatles.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:52:09 AM by ONandONandON »
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 05:49:21 AM »

I have never dealt with them but it looks like effective treatment can get expensive and time consuming

I would contact cornell or local agricultural extension and see what they have to say some areas are worse than others, also some areas have programs/grants for dealing with such problems.

Personally, I would not think twice about riping out infected tree's
III%

FlamingBabies

• Trading Score: +6
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 11:23:57 PM »

I would start by contacting a local arborist. Your treatment options may vary upon location. Here is a link to Treeazin, a systemic pesticide derived from an extract of seed from the neem tree used for controlling EAB infestation.

http://www.bioforest.ca/index.cfm?fuseaction=content&menuid=20&pageid=1035