Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Water questions (ecology focused)  (Read 3623 times)

Mr. seeds

• Trading Score: 13
  • JSK
Water questions (ecology focused)
« on: January 20, 2017, 10:07:01 PM »

Water has contaminants; where do I find the material used to test it and how do i test it? Are there; at least theoretically; ways to filter or evaporate off contaminants like Uranium or Lead? How should this be done to prevent exposure of this water to beings like insects or animals if you're eventual purpose is to take the contaminated water and to separate it from the contaminant.

How do these contaminants get there; such as politically or through error and what can we do to avoid it?? Once something has been damaged its much more difficult to fix; compared to building it to last.

Why do we need clean water for drinking, evaporation/weather, and watering? I know its a simple question; sounds stupid to ask; but so far we still have lead contaminated water and Uranium contaminated water and lakes that aren't safe to swim in... Like.. cesspools and like.. regular rivers that are supposed to be safe to swim in.. and stuff..

What other contaminates should we actually learn about in depth??? Its an area of study I want to learn more about; why not on Share The Seeds, a community driven by the bigger context of Ecology, sustainability, and Nature?!

Are there any ecologists that are interested in water ecology and potential ways to either deal with the contaminates with what we currently have technologically, economically, and intellectually as a tool in the belt of not trying to dump where we drink, eat, and think and breath and not get struck by lightning because you poisoned the water you freaking ignorant "leader" and "donor to the leader" (real leader behind the "leader" leading us into drinking Uranium and Lead laced H20).

I would like to learn more about ecology; but i'm dirt poor and these were things that I didn't learn about in school regarding actually going out and seeing the real world of science and technology; all i have is the ability to ask questions and hope for answers.

Any perspectives or questions that i've missed? Its something I'm uneducated regarding and ironically something i think everyone should know in depth about..

(small little update <3 )

I just wanted to add; alot of plants can clean up and metabolize these toxins easily and turn them into a form of air...

Such as reeds, grasses, fungi, cannabis/hemp (can be bred easily; possibly even genetically modified if the precautions and rigorous careful steps are taken...), and even tree's...... For example; Canary reed grass (Phalaris) produces two substances of interest: loads of DMT and Grammine (which is very difficult to seperate, is neurotoxic, has killed animals such as sheep and such....); this makes me wonder if an Extract of this grass could possibly be used to breakdown certain toxic substances and if that could be one way.... only academia could find out... (i'm almost certain these chemicals; while useless to humans do indeed pose an interesting tool for something... perhaps ecologically!)

Oyster mushrooms are of particular interest! Considering they hunt, mine, and absorb oil, heavy metals, and similar things... who knows what else? they probably even hunt prey if they're smart enough to gather gold, mercury, or lead...

What if there's even mushrooms that can do far, far, far more than Oyster Fungi and we don't even know about it; or its already extinct..

(we could use Oyster mushrooms; possibly; to remove Lead out of the United States water system... that or at the least collect dried reeds... and safely store them with "do not consume" warning... "contains heavy metals" etc)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 05:02:00 PM by Mr. seeds »
life is like a seed; sometimes in order to grow you have to be dropped in dirt, covered by darkness, and struggle for light. The answer is the light in the darkness...

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Re: Water questions (ecology focused)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 09:51:37 PM »

You send shit to a fucking lab and theyll give you an analysis report. Then you call the responsible governmental agency, because only your government has govt-magic that is needet to supply essential things, like clean water.

Honestly, lab testing is not as expensive as you first might think and you'll have to test countless of samples to justify your OWN mass spectrometer ... and all other lab equiptment. Plus youd have to study first to be able to make correct implications from your readings.

If youre talking tap water, at least in my place the supplier (thanks be to almighty government) publishes full reports regularly.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 10:41:09 PM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

Mr. seeds

• Trading Score: 13
  • JSK
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 05:04:15 PM »

Bubblecat; i think that we can easily just DIY; i think that the government should definitely, in whatever country(s) consider volunteer work, but everyone does indeed need very real safety gear... and training.. Its a real world mission for cleaning at least some stuff up.. we can hope; i mean construct a system where we have volunteers doing some of the work and paid government officials doing alot more of the work.
life is like a seed; sometimes in order to grow you have to be dropped in dirt, covered by darkness, and struggle for light. The answer is the light in the darkness...

ciervatranquila

• Delighting in the Wonder of Seeds
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 02:20:44 AM »

There are at least small size water filters for indoor use that are supposed to filter out lead to an acceptable level.

The mushroom concept is intriguing. Have you heard of the new vegan leathers made of fungi?
They're even supposed to be able to grow it around hardware they want as a part of the leather.

One concern I've read about in water cleanliness is contamination by antibiotics. It's quite concerning, especially as superbugs grow more resistant.

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 05:11:05 AM »

Start by finding out where your water comes from and inspect it and explore, most of it will typically be on goberment land.

Another interesting on is seeing where it goes after a flush,  Trap - Septictank - drainagepool - pumpstation - waste water treatment plant - pumped back into the earth via drainagebassin or directly into ocean/river.  The waste treatment plants can be very interesting all kinds of process to remove contaminates, some actually do it so well after the water is 'treated' its pumped directly into a citys domestic water supply (LA).
III%