Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DIY ~50w LED Grow Light  (Read 21449 times)

Specialty

• Whats up team?
Re: DIY ~50w LED Grow Light
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 11:43:50 PM »

Goodluck brotha if you need anymore help feel free too shoot me a pm. Ill be awaiting too see your results!

BigHeart

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2014, 09:05:25 PM »

To control the LED strips you can get mini LED like these for almost free http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-12A-Mini-LED-Dimmer-Controller-For-5050-3528-Led-Strips-12V-DC-Anode-/261336418419?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3cd8dd4873

They work great, you can change it to any possible color you want or have it flashing or fading or whatever, can change brightness and speed too.  Just hook up the red and black to any 12 v power source or battery, hook the other end up to the strips and you're good to go.  I've used these on everything from lighting up my tri-cycle for Burning Man, to making LED belts, to doing lighting for some local clubs (under the table and probably not up to code but they awesome :P ) .

delta9hippie

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2014, 10:25:48 PM »

Really cool DIY project!
I kind of like plants because they made the Earth inhabitable.

Tengukashi

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 01:13:46 AM »

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Brilliant work. I'm curious though: can the output power be increased by adding more LEDs and a stronger power supply? I'm really hoping that I can engineer a 1000w light on the cheap. It would be amazing for all my plants to move indoors
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 01:25:08 AM by Tengukashi »

reds

• Trading Score: +5
  • Resident Panthiest
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 03:41:29 PM »

Wattage is honestly a pretty useless number when measuring power usage.
Could you do a comparison of your 50w grow light vs 50w worth of CFLs? (2x23w)

LED technology isnt really up to par unless you're using really good LEDs.. Like CREE makes 1-3w LEDs. They'll grow plants decently, but CFLs are still my go-to.
"I admit that my visions can never mean to other men as much as they do to me.. All I ask is that my results should convince seekers (of) truth that there is beyond doubt something worth seeking."

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2014, 11:35:27 PM »

Wattage is honestly a pretty useless number when measuring power usage.

Ummmm....What? Maybe you mean in terms of lumens/watt for LEDS? Like how much light you get out for each Watt consumed?

Wattage is the unit of power, [W = J/s].

LED technology isnt really up to par unless you're using really good LEDs.. Like CREE makes 1-3w LEDs. They'll grow plants decently, but CFLs are still my go-to.

I agree.

Hcc
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 11:46:55 PM by happyconcacti »

reds

• Trading Score: +5
  • Resident Panthiest
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 01:58:53 AM »

Watt lamps measure input, not the output of light.

I could try using a really cheap 500w light fixture-
5 100w incandecents.

I'd bet money, it would do much worse than 4-5 23w CFLs.

Even lumens isnt too accurate, when you talk about LEDs because of their angle of emission

"I admit that my visions can never mean to other men as much as they do to me.. All I ask is that my results should convince seekers (of) truth that there is beyond doubt something worth seeking."
Pages: 1 [2]