Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Tips for growing kava?  (Read 2975 times)

The Clam

• Trading Score: +20
Tips for growing kava?
« on: November 23, 2016, 12:48:47 PM »

I just got a new kava plant and have never grown one. I am wondering if anyone has some tips? I have noticed some browning on the tips but I think it has to do with acclamation to low humidity.

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
Re: Tips for growing kava?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 08:28:25 AM »

I'd suggest PMing soulgrower; he seems to know a lot about (mistakenly) killing kava plants!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 08:29:39 AM by Mangrove »
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

The Clam

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 01:07:56 PM »

Alright, will do

SoulGrower

• Trading Score: +151
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 08:23:16 PM »

Although I've gotten pretty good identifying REAL Kava, @mangrove  :P, and have quite the Piper collection... I'm not so great at growing Kava.

It's a picky plant.  It's an obligate tropical.  And it is challenging to grow even in Oceana where it is endemic to. 

Browning of the leaf tips and edges is normal for me.  All older growth always has at least brown tips.  And frequently the margins.  But usually only a thin browning along the margin.  Starting at the tip but not extending as far as the stem.  Short of that I wouldn't worry about it.

On the bottom most leaves, it is not unusual for this 'browning' to turn degenerative, requiring removal of the leaf.

New growth is usually healthy and bright green for some time for me.  And stays ahead of whatever browning I have.

I have them in the shade.  Humidity averages 70%+ most of the year.  It can dip to 40% on rare occasions but only for a day or so at a time.  Temps rarely above 95F during the summer.  And I bring them into the greenhouse when temps dip into the 50s.

If your browning is more severe than what I described, there may be something else going on.  Have any pics?

You don't have a soul
You are a soul
You have a body
C.S Lewis

The Clam

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 02:21:56 AM »

The browning is actually nutrient burn and im looking into getting better soil for it at the moment and humidity will be a problem for me though, here in the pacific NW it gets cold and rainy especially this time a year but im interested in figuring out if the kava will adapt over the years to this.