Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Something is attacking my p viridis, a fungus looks like  (Read 9399 times)

Stonehenge

• Trading Score: +53
Something is attacking my p viridis, a fungus looks like
« on: October 29, 2016, 08:00:13 PM »

I noticed a week ago some leaves had turned brown. Now I see many leaves and a fungus growing on them. The sun no longer hits them directly and the fungus showed up about that time. Any ideas?

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
Re: Something is attacking my p viridis, a fungus looks like
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 08:18:49 PM »

is it kind of black?

Might want to check the stem for little yellow bumps.

Stonehenge

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 09:49:14 PM »

No yellow bumps. The leaves turn brown and then eventually black and I see mold growing. I need to act quickly, perhaps a broad spectrum fungicide.

Stonehenge

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 09:51:33 PM »

I may have an old container of daconil somewhere. If not I'll have to go out and buy something. Anyone got a suggestion?

Stonehenge

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 12:07:16 AM »

I did find a container of daconil. Its probably at least 10 years old, think it will work?

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 12:41:09 AM »

Pictures possible ?
Praise is mandatory.

XDX

• Trading Score: +72
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 01:49:45 AM »

Salicylic acid, found in willow bark, but also found in most face cleansers, can turn on SAR (systemic acquired resistance) in plants. this type of defense is systemic, and can be activated with either foliar feeding or from in the soil, my guess would be a good balance of both might work best, weekly applications for 2-3 weeks is what id try. the damaged tissues are what they are, but the plant will super boost its immune system, should recognize the pathogen from the infected tissue, then systematically reinforce uninfected tissues, preventing further infection. downside, a plant must balance energy/resource exertion, and therefore usually grows quiet slow while SAR is activated. Similarly, jasmonic acid and ethylene activate ISR (induced systemic resistance).
have never tried improvising with face cleanser personally, but its on my list of experiments....
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:03:40 AM by XDX »

XDX

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 02:01:16 AM »

well, and then theres aspirin.... but i dislike bayer, and aspirin is usually some acetyl form, not sure how that effects the whole SAR thing.... wish my chemistry was a lil better

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Trading Score: +56
  • Howdy Y'all
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 02:26:14 AM »

Fungus can be fast moving. You may not have weeks. Baking soda or peroxide can help in a pinch until you can get something better.
Undergoing the formality of being alive.

XDX

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 02:56:26 AM »

right, good call Psylocke, i use a lot of peroxide in the garden. And Sonehenge, pictures would really help. how big is the plant? is the infection just on the leaves, or is in on the stems as well? new leaves, old leaves, or both? if there is visible signs of fungus, mold growing, and its just on leaves, try to remove this, cleanly and gently so as not to damage plant or spread spores/infection further. then spot clean with peroxide to kill remaining spores/mycelium...
 then i usually have a bottle of some homemade pesticide stuff which is some rough mixture of iso alcohol, neem oil, any variety of lemongrass, patchouli, lavender, orange, tea tree, etc lots of essential oils, and tobacco tea.. with a drop or two of dish soap... but might start using face cleanser instead for the salicylic acid see if that makes a diff.. anyway, id be spraying with this every other day maybe? idk, situations like these, you really gotta listen to what your plant is trying to tell you what it needs, when...
last thing id do is get a fan on it or something to increase airflow.... but since its psychotria, dont sacrifice too much humidity either....  lots of misting (alternate plain water, h2o2, or special oil soap mix), with a fan, lil more light to it, most fungi dont like UVs...
 my sallys usually heal from the perpetual verticilium wilt if i can get just a lil sunlight on them... when winter comes, and all goes indoors, shes doomed, every year.

basically... if you can remove most of the fungus, and figure out what part of your conditions your plants not happy with and make the appropriate change, then the plant will heal itself. my guess is the fungus gained ground because environmental conditions stressed your plant and weakened it. you can use peroxide to kill visible fungus, but if the environmental conditions are more favorable for the fungus than for the plant, it will just start again and again. address the issue from the cause

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 02:57:48 AM »

Sth better to peroxide ? Peroxide can kill all it touches at higher % and is a gamble at lower % so to say. Get the concentration right and its perfect but first id remove everything expendable and infected.
Praise is mandatory.

Stonehenge

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 02:28:51 AM »

The leaves start to look wilty, then turn gradually brown then the stem gets affected. I dont think I can remove the fungus because its only visible when the leaves turn black. I'm actually guessing its a fungus since it could be something else and the fungus just came along to eat the dead leaves but that seems unlikely.

Baking soda is good, I've used that in other situations. I will read carefully the label on the daconil and probably spray some on tomorrow. I'm not going to wait weeks. I noticed it today because the plants had looked a bit wilted so I gave them water and they still didn't look too great. I have 4 smaller ones about 3' and a larger one about 4'.

Looking closer I saw no signs of insects, no mites, whitefly, mealy worms, aphids, or anything else suspicious. I hope I can save them. The flowers that were on them have died but the ones that set seed are still going, until the fungus hits I guess. All the plants look affected though not all parts are showing brown. I'll get on it tomorrow

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 03:14:46 AM »

I would hit it with a systematic and do some aggressive pruning

I dont know about daconil, but I have imminuex that is 10-15 years old and still works great

From the symptoms you describe I would not rule out some type of disease, maybe cross reference with coffee and see if anything matches ?

III%

XDX

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 03:26:03 AM »

triggering an SAR response via salicylic acid application does not take weeks to take effect... im suggesting using a soap, which will probably be just as effectively kill surface pathogens as h202 or essential oils or anything else pretty much, probably less abrasive than h2o2 would be... but the uptake of the salicylic acid is whats more important, and should happen uhh overnight? however fast the plant takes up water... as soon as that molecule enters the plants system, dissolved in water through the roots or leaves, the response begins happening. i mentioned weeks because rarely a single application of anything gets the job done thoroughly... a week from now, after you plant has been healing, new fungal spores may germinate and restart the infection.... fungi have multiple cycles they go through.... its like giving your plant antibiotics... think about when humans take antibiotics, 24 hrs, most the disease is under attack, symptoms regress. but you gotta take the prescription for the full 2 weeks, otherwise surviving pathogen may reinfect with even more vigor. similar concept here.

my thought is unless you get your plants immune system beefed up, and address the environmental conditions, especially since you said that you dont think you can whatever is eating it, things might continue as they are.

it is very possible for for it to be a combination of things... environmental conditions (humidity, light) nutrients, etc can effect you plants immune system. say your leaves get sunburnt, or dry out or wilt. that tissue dies. infecting saprophytic (lives on dead plant tissue ) fungi land, germinate, eat dead tissue. as these saprobe fungi grow, they will release toxins to kill the living tissue, to make more dead tissue to eat. at the same time, most plants have a number of endophytic fungus and bacteria, and viruses too i guess, living inside the plant all the time, in symbiosis (  most of the time), or parasitic... sometimes, these endos can get out of order as well... when environment isnt right... this is millions of years of evolution fine tuning these relationships in nature... in our gardens, all sorts of things get out of balance

an obligate parasite, like a fungus that requires living tissues to live in grow, are pretty host specific, and therefor would seem unlikely to me that it would kind of randomly pop up in your garden, outside this plants natural habitat range (im assuming), unless it was living in the plant all along (in which case it probably wouldnt be a very good parasite, or you'd notice problems sooner... unless conditions suddnenly changed in favor of the parasite). so then look over at the other end of the spectrum, with saprophytes that like stuff thats already dead. for a saprobe to infect you plant, you plant would have to have some sort of damage or open wound, or dead tissues connected with the live ones. so, the fungus may just be a secondary symptom to a greater problem, because, where did the wound come from? no bugs you say, could be pruning or somethings, but my thought is some leaf died back (because of lighting, humidity, temps, something environmental), allowing for saprobe fungus to enter and go to town.  that fungus, once inside, will continue to kill. or possibly something endophytic has gotten out of balance. in both scenarios, the long term solution is change the environmental conditions.

i know i keep stressing the environmental conditions, but its because if that is the case, then even though you are seeing this plant visibly infected, others in your garden may be suffering, and have yet to show it. if its host specific, then it wont spread to plants of different species, and getting conditions right will allow this plant to try to heal itself. if it is not host specific, then its just waiting for more dead tissues, and if other plants start to show symptoms from conditions not being right, then saprobe can move in on those dead tissues, moving to other plants. or those endos get out of balance.

idk what the fate of this plant will be, but i wish you the best! but, as stressful as it all is im sure, try to listen to your plant, read what it is trying to tell you. it may be sacrificing itself for the better good, to save the other plants of your garden. but idk, its your plant, you know it best. listen! dont let its message go unheard! its all a learning experience, to me, a good lesson learned is worth more than anything physical, even if its a beautiful living magic plant..... Thats the magic of these plants, this is a way of communication. its trying to teach you something.

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 03:29:51 AM »

Are your plants in pots or in the ground?

If in pots what do the roots look like?
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.
Pages: [1] 2