Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: BAP plant hormone to help with fig problem ? maybe try on cactus or pups ?  (Read 6219 times)

bezevo

How would I use BAP plant hormone to reduce my potted figs tendency of  growing leggy  and induce more side branching ?
I live in zone 5 my figs go to a cold basement room  to sleep for winter .

Please  any one give me your ideas , opinions ?

For the figs I m guessing a foliar spray  .. would I dilute in water or alcohol ?
I  also  have  pharmaceutical grade DMSO I  use for my Arthritis I wonder if it would dissolve BAP ? 
any tips ?

I bought a gram of pure BAP plant hormone to experiment with .

I  will buy some pure lanolin to  make a jell ,with this   I am going to try to induce some pupping or branching on a few cactus ..hummm!!

thanks

update. I found some info seems it needs to be dissolved in alcohol .ee  link .

http://www.planthormones.net/benzylaminopurine-6-ba/

still want to hear your opinions and experience wit BAP
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 11:23:06 PM by bezevo »
I GROW !

zone 5b

bezevo

ok  the BAP arrived  . with three HUGE !rooted TBM clone " B " from solar tea aka Jethro smiths cactus affinity .

I have  three different carriers i will try .

Pure lanolin

Ethanol /ever clear

Jell DMSO 

I looked at nipple cream / lanolin at wall greens they wanted like $10 for a small  tube .
I ordered a 7oz jar from amazon for $8 free 2 day shipping
I GROW !

zone 5b

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Trading Score: +134
  • Fungophile

Youlet the figs go fully dormant for the winter? And full sun in summer?
Never portray yourself to betray yourself, there is no I in self.

https://mycotek.org/index.php?members/fewtrueseed.1965/

bezevo

in fall  the figs come inside at night when below 50f  back out days .  when it gets cold enough they  go into a cold dark  room in my basement . I water a little every 5 or six weeks tell spring . when the start to sprout in spring they come upstairs out days in night tell its warm enough to leave outside all of the time .
I GROW !

zone 5b

bezevo

I need  help !!!
 I have Bap and lanolin but not sure how much BAP  to mix with Lanolin

like  umm wuld 1.4 gram BAP  mixed with 4gr lanolin be to strong ?

ny one know ?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 08:58:41 PM by bezevo »
I GROW !

zone 5b

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Fungophile

I have no experience with BAP at all. But i can share a bit. Here are my figs, and kiwi. Two Colorado fig cuttings from the same vendor. One is obviously more lanky than the other. The third i planted from grocery store fruit. he took some damage this spring when it dropped below twenty, killed the lead growth. She is doing just fine. Im in zone 4b or so and its been below freezing for many nights the past weeks. Can we see some pictures of your trees @bezevo?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 09:49:09 PM by FewTrueSeed »

bezevo

no fig pics  I have six different common self fertile figs   in pots  tallest is six feet.

often figs grown from seeds  will not produce fruit  with out the FIG WASP to pollinate .

the common figs I have  are all self fruitful  clones no  wasp needed

lets see  hummm.. I have Hardy Chicago , weeping black , geanoso , exel .verns eastern  brown turkey and a cpl others . all grown in pots   
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 10:11:17 PM by bezevo »
I GROW !

zone 5b

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Fungophile

Some trading next spring perhaps?

bezevo

yes  I could  send cuttings or try some rooted air layers  ,, defepends on how busy things are .. I am  mostly interested in Trichocereus with proven strong genetics .

but maybe others..
I GROW !

zone 5b

kykeion

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +13

Hey bezevo,

I'm not sure where you are with this project/problem since your post is about 5 months old, but here are some of my thoughts.  I'm not familiar with figs, having never tried growing them, but I don't think the BAP is going to give you the results you are looking for.  Yes, it may encourage branching where applied, but I don't know that this growth is going to prevent the rest of the plant (or even eventually the new branches) from growing leggy.  The leggyness is most likely the result of not enough light, probably going into and coming out of dormancy (or not going fully dormant?). Pollarding the trees may be more effective, but you may want to do some further research.

Might be worth asking some fig oriented forums:
https://www.ourfigs.com/forum
https://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox.com/categories

misplant

• Trading Score: +81

i had 3 fig trees competed for space in my tricho garden. brown turkey, kadota & one called green stripe (or thats what i called it)

green stripe grew like a rocketship with few fruits, but boy were they ever tasty, somewhat like strawberry jam. I kept whacking it back & it kept throwing numerous branches with few figs.....Boom! it went bye bye real quick

kadota was a heavy producer with a very sweet taste & the fruits would ferment if not picked relatively quickly.  I whacked it back to the main stem every year and it came roaring back each spring.  I finally dug it up & gave it to a friend, the trunk was around 3-4" in diameter at the time.

brown turkey: this one is by far the best of all, however the green japanese beetles love it to death. The plant gets whacked back (severely) 1 or 2 x yearly and it comes roaring back each time.  I limit its height to 7-8' max, forcing it to bush out. I will either have to net it this yr to keep the beetles at bay or dig it up & toss it.  Its taking up valuable real estate where i could be growing more trichs

from my fig trees I've made fig jam & fig 'leather', not to mention bags of figs stored in the freezer....  you might say I'm all figged out....

If you want more side branches, forget bap, forget chemicals; just whip out your pruning shear & start whacking away. Top the main stem & cut every branch back. I'd advise pruning in the late fall although you could prune most anytime.
www.misplant.net

Life is short, Eat Dessert First

Solipsis

Just wanted to share I saw an amazing youtube vid on figs and wasps