Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Grafting a cotyledon stage cacti seedling to another cotyledon stage cacti  (Read 2687 times)

Inyan

• Trading Score: +28
  • Find what makes you happy and do it.

Grafts started on 18th of August. Grafted seedlings still growing strong. I think the pictures are pretty self explanatory on this simple procedure, but I will explain that the cotyledons are cut off from both sides of both seedlings. The seedlings are then paired together and shoved into wedge cut into Pereskiopsis stock. The seedlings are then held in place with cling wrap or parafilm which helps hold them nice and snug. So long as the 2 seedlings graft together and one of the seedlings graft into the Pereskiopsis you will have 100% success. If the two seedlings do not graft together, but graft to the Pereskiopsis the two seedlings will still grow. However, the aim of this type of graft is to get both seedlings to grow as one together and to do so at such a young age with a vertical cut so as to make the graft line invisible in a few weeks time.
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Inyan

Re: Grafting a cotyledon stage cacti seedling to another cotyledon stage cacti
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 09:46:09 PM »

I took this photo today to update those old photos. This is in the realm of easy for anyone here as I have 20/50 vision and a prescription that has long ago expired.

Inyan

Re: Grafting a cotyledon stage cacti seedling to another cotyledon stage cacti
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 01:45:36 AM »

If it isn't perfectly clear, I love to graft or see other peoples grafts. When I'm not out grafting... I'm out trying to hybridize. And when I can't do either... I'm pounding on the iron.