Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Im curious if there is a market for worm casting tea  (Read 6148 times)

The Clam

• Trading Score: +20
Im curious if there is a market for worm casting tea
« on: September 30, 2016, 09:31:26 AM »

Im hoping to have about 50lbs of worm compost (lechate is added back so no nutrients are lost) some time after December which I would like to brew into worm compost tea and I would like to sell it per liter but am unsure if people use it.

So my question is, do you or would you like to use worm casting tea and what is a fair price?

Also just a reminder, im not intending to advertise or sell anything, im just wondering how many people use it and how much they usually pay.

Thanks for your time
-The Clam-

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 01:34:44 PM by plantlight »
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
Re: Im curious if there is a market for worm casting tea
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 04:05:23 PM »

The best part where I live (AGAIN) is that I got 24/7 access to all the coffee bean grounds and bat guano fertilizer I could ever dream of finding (ah, college life and the shit it brings along with it...); unfortunately, I can only transport a few kilos to my place for the time for the time being :( or at least until I can find someone with a pickup truck who's down to do some dirty deeds with me. By dirty deeds, I of course mean transport a few truckloads of guano to my place so I can just replace the first meter or so of soil in my back yard with bat guano (for multiple reasons, the annoyance of my neighbor's and the code enforcement vampires being the main goal yet again :P)
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

mj

• Trading Score: +54
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 07:32:35 PM »

what makes compost tea special is the live component in the tea. All the organisms in the tea. You have to use tea right away. Yes folks sell it but by the time you use it there will not be much of use left alive. As soon as the aerobic organisms are dead all you have left is a batch of water with a few scoops of dead dirt. 

The Clam

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 08:10:49 PM »

what makes compost tea special is the live component in the tea. All the organisms in the tea. You have to use tea right away. Yes folks sell it but by the time you use it there will not be much of use left alive. As soon as the aerobic organisms are dead all you have left is a batch of water with a few scoops of dead dirt.

Yeah, I figure I would make it on demand for that reason.

[/quote]The best part where I live (AGAIN) is that I got 24/7 access to all the coffee bean grounds and bat guano fertilizer I could ever dream of finding (ah, college life and the shit it brings along with it...); unfortunately, I can only transport a few kilos to my place for the time for the time being :( or at least until I can find someone with a pickup truck who's down to do some dirty deeds with me. By dirty deeds, I of course mean transport a few truckloads of guano to my place so I can just replace the first meter or so of soil in my back yard with bat guano (for multiple reasons, the annoyance of my neighbor's and the code enforcement vampires being the main goal yet again :P)[/quote]

Where did the bat guano on campus come from? That sounds pretty awesome, because I really only have small amounts of coffee, banana peels and egg shells (bone meal every so often also) for my NPK. Those banana peels really do have a ton of potassium though. (I just did an experiment a few days back and got a pretty decent looking amount of KAc)

[/quote]You have competition: https://www.etsy.com/listing/453085294/organic-worm-castings-tea?

And with bat guano: https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Compost-Guano-Molasses-Gallon/dp/B00OP9HXLQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1475234745&sr=8-8&keywords=Worm+casting+tea

Or, for the do-it-yourselfer: https://www.amazon.com/WORM-CASTING-brews-gallons-compost/dp/B00SHSN2CU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475234745&sr=8-1&keywords=Worm+casting+tea[/quote]

Well, I figure I just sell low because I don't need to make to much and I enjoy doing it. Just a little extra to save or use if I really need to (considering I have 0 and still need college money). To be honest, I wouldn't even mind selling it for 5$ by the water bottle (about 20 to 25 fl oz) which is what they are charging a lot more for

oplopanax

• Trading Score: +139
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 01:18:31 AM »

There is a guy in the town where I live who makes his living selling worm tea.

If he can do it you can to!

I buy it all the time, all the plants love it.
No living organism should be illegal.

The Clam

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 02:50:32 AM »

Thats really cool, im in a more urban area so its a bit harder to come by, does he sell it at the farmers market or what does he do?

mj

• Trading Score: +54
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 05:36:02 AM »

if you are really into this you will need a good microscope so you can do organism counts to establish just what you are growing and the balance in each batch. that way you can optimize your process and system. You can then do a count and bottle up a gallon for 24 hours then re count and see what happens to the numbers. I f you want to see exactly how this is done by a man who has run small to large commercial systems follow the link. Regards mj.

http://www.microbeorganics.com/

https://logicalgardener.org/

The Clam

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 06:51:18 AM »

Thanks for the link, that's really interesting and would defiantly be a cool project at the least