Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Failed Graft/Rot: Can the scion be saved?  (Read 4024 times)

cactusmuncher

• Trader
  • Trading Score: 15
  • Just a backyard botanist ;)
Failed Graft/Rot: Can the scion be saved?
« on: September 29, 2016, 09:23:51 PM »

A sad day. My graft has failed. Surprisingly the scion looks well connected despite the discoloration. However the grafting stock was seriously rotted and had to be removed. How should I go about salvaging the scion... if I can that is.
http://imgur.com/a/sNMN1

planter

Re: Failed Graft/Rot: Can the scion be saved?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 10:29:15 PM »

If the attached Trichocereus stock in the picture does not have rot, and it has had a couple weeks to callous over, it could be placed into dry soil to root again, and would still have all the benefits it did before.

But if the attached stock has rot, it would need to be cut away with a sharp sterilized blade, and the scion rooted on it's own.

I only have a little experience grafting, so i don't know if you could successfully re-graft the scion to another different stock at this point.  Might be possible?

DansMaTete

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 10:47:49 PM »

As planter said, if there is no rot, you can try to root the trich but i would try to graft the whole thing on a new stock (but i never did it !)

Or as i did before, you can slice the yote and graft it on a new stock.

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 03:09:02 AM »

Have you tried injecting meconazole into the center of the stem right around the rot? It's one helluva galactic-sized long-shot, but these OTC antifungals may just be able to cure cactus rot; we just haven't tested them out, yet.
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 03:27:54 AM »

Or you could just cut-out the rotted part, throw some DE on top, let it callous for a couple weeks and see how it goes from then on out. Just depends on whether you want a more sound approach to keeping your plant healthy wealthy and wise, or if you feel like making history.
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax