Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: keeping tropicals alive outdoors in zone 7 winter idea  (Read 4052 times)

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
keeping tropicals alive outdoors in zone 7 winter idea
« on: September 28, 2016, 10:17:19 AM »

I have a idea to attempt to grow tropicals outdoors year round in US zone 7 , at least the more hardy ones

My plan is to dig a hole about 4' deep, amend the bottom 2' of soil as if it were the top layer in preparation for something like caapi or whatever.

Plant a well rooted caapi 2' down in the soil as if it were on the surface, Then put down a layer of permeable fabric cloth, and place a section of 12" diameter tubeing about 26" long directly over the center of the caapi

Backfill the hole with coarse sand up to about 6" from the surface, lay down a permeable fabric cloth over the sand and fill the rest of the hole with topsoil.

It should grow all spring,summer without issue,  Then come the first cold weather the plant could be cut away about 2' down and the hole could be filled with a insulation material,  like preformed expanding foam.  A pile of leaves/ compost over it could not hurt either.

come early spring the insulation would be removed and the plant should grow back from the roots (in theory atleast)

A drip water system 2' down would likely help too

theory being at the depth the earth will be warm enouth to keep it alive, but cool enough for it to remain dormant . . .

III%

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
Re: keeping tropicals alive outdoors in zone 7 winter idea
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 03:08:03 PM »

Interesting idea!  Good luck to you.  I'm just wondering if 12" will be sufficient area for surface roots or if this is an issue with caapi.  Since it will be planted, perhaps there will be similar issues as when raising grade around a tree.

I Killed a tree once by filling in too close without aeration even though I considered the issue. 
I wonder if the tree would have lived had I done something as elaborate as this: http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/earthkind/landscape/protecting-trees/

"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

nikshaz

• Trading Score: +151
  • This is gods work, creation..just create ethically
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 07:10:49 PM »

Walipini Greenhouse!

I'm going to attempt this for caapi in zone 5 but maybe a little deeper into the ground, like 7ft. Need air circulation of course
We are our own creators

The man with the seeds is the man indeed

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 06:32:33 PM »

This idea could be revolutionary if properly executed. It seems that loam and dry sand have the lowest conductivity so they would be optimal for a more stable temperature range. The lower you go in soil, the more stable the temperature variable will be. Virginia Tech says that at 30feet soil temp stays pretty constant.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Cooling/EarthTemperatures.htm

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 10:43:03 PM »

Interesting idea!  Good luck to you.  I'm just wondering if 12" will be sufficient area for surface roots or if this is an issue with caapi.  Since it will be planted, perhaps there will be similar issues as when raising grade around a tree.

I Killed a tree once by filling in too close without aeration even though I considered the issue. 
I wonder if the tree would have lived had I done something as elaborate as this: http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/earthkind/landscape/protecting-trees/

Dam fine points.

Im thinking a 2"-3" layer of coarse stone trapped between layers of weed fabric on top of the 'top soil' should be sufficient to transfer gases, as well as a oversized drip system would help vent it.

Im not sure about this but im thinking jungle plants are likely less susceptible to the toxic built up gasses as the soil is most always saturated.  ?

I have thought about a walipini style greenhouse, But see several drawbacks, It would very likely still need a external heat source, Mold, and the space to build it I just dont have . 

Sunshine - love the link, I unsuccessfully was looking for something like that for hours.  Thanks
III%